the final touch

we sat inches apart in the daunting office of our divorce lawyer. i interlocked my fingers, looking down at them, while george kept his intimidating gaze forward on the lawyer himself.

"mr and mrs. harrison, i just need to know a few more things before i can proceed with this divorce." our lawyer, stanley lewison replied.

i barely looked up from my position while george cleared his throat, that caught my attention as my eyes scanned the man in front of me.

"excuse my wife, she's a bit stunned." george whispered. i gave him the side eye before returning my gaze to our lawyer,

"don't listen to my husband. what are your questions?" i spoke defensively, going back to the same position i was in moments before.

"right, well, when were you married?" he questioned, getting ready to write it down.

george answered this question before i could, making me think he couldn't wait to say it, "july 18, 1962."

stanley wrote that down, before looking up at us, "so 12 years? does that include time you were dating?"

it was my turn to answer a question now, "yes it does. one year of dating and then we were married."

"thank you. oh, mrs. harrison, will you be going back to your maiden name?" stanley questioned, looking up at me.

it was as if my heart had just been ripped in two. i gulped a bit, feeling george's eyes burn right through me, even stanley's eyes were burning through me as i quietly responded, "yes."

"she doesn't have to. i wouldn't mind my wife keeping my last name." george interjected before stanley could check the box off.

i glanced over at george, who subtly looked back at me. i quickly looked back at stanley, who gazed at the two of us, "well soon to be ex wife, but if you two want to be alone for a bit to make sure this is what you both really want, i could give you guys 20 minutes."

"that would be nice thank you." george smiled as i nodded.

stanley nodded with a grin as he walked out of his office, closing the door gently behind him. the tension between george and i only intensified as i stared forwardly. george's eyes searched the side of me, before i broke the ice,

"i don't understand where we went wrong. what happened to us?"

"julia.. we've been over this. i'm not in love with you anymore. i-i know it's difficult to hear baby, but i can't control my feelings." he replied as i scoffed,

"yeah! that's everyone's excuse right?! it's always the husband's lame excuse for when he wants a divorce! that's not the truth george! the truth is; you found a much younger, sexier, big titted slut bag who rocks your world far more than i did! you crave sex and i tried to keep up, but apparently i wasn't what you wanted. so what do you do? you threaten me with a divorce and i tell you, 'i want to make it work', but you tell me, 'no julia. i'm unhappy i'm this i'm that.' it's not fair george. it's not fucking fair." i slammed my hand down on the table as the tears began to flow.

"wow julia that's the most you've said all night." he replied, looking over at me.

"oh piss off will you?! i'm hurting george! i'm about to lose my husband! the man i married when i was 19! i loved you, i was so proud to call you my husband, show you off to all my friends. you were my world, and now i feel like this divorce is an astroid that's ending it." i wiped my eyes, crying some more.

"i'm sorry jules-." he began before i harshly cut him off,

"don't. you only called me that when you needed something and were being whiny."

he didn't know what to say, but he regained himself and tried again, "julia, look at me."

"i can't bare the sight of you right now." i seethed.

"i'm still your husband julia. please look at me." he reiterated, trying to soothe me.

"yeah only for a matter of moments." i scoffed, taking a few moments before i met my eyes with his.

"there she is. the girl i married all those years ago. the woman i called my wife." he smiled softly.

i rolled my eyes looking back at him. george scooted his chair closer to mine, as i furrowed my brows together, "look i'm pretty sure our 20 minutes are almost up. so, let's just make a final decision."

"kiss me." he blurted out.

"what?" i replied, arching my brow.

"just do it. don't ask me any questions, just kiss me like it was the first time we did it. which, do you remember?" he asked.

"of course! it was when we were 18 up in your parents room. that was our first time too. i remember all our firsts george. our first house, car, fight, make-up, night apart, all of it." i sighed as george smiled, leaning in to kiss me.

i melted against the kiss, deepening it as he pulled me out of my chair onto his lap, where the kiss continued. the two of us explored each other's mouth, while he plopped me down onto the desk.

"i'm so sorry for hurting you." he whispered, running his rough calloused hands up my hips, gripping them a bit.

"it's alright. i just want your soft touch." i begged as he smiled, kissing me again.

"let's just get home and we'll figure it out there," he winked, "i've changed my mind about the divorce."

i blushed a bit, "good. so have i. let's go." i smiled hopping off the desk.

stanley, at this point had walked back into the office as george and i looked at him, "we've changed our mind about the divorce. i want to make things work with my julia."

"that's great news! i hope all goes well for you two." stanley smiled.

"thank you stanley." i smiled.

"yes thank you." george grinned.

he sent us off while the two of us went home and worked out our marriage.