you're not my mother!

he was 13 years old, he was my boyfriend's son, and his mom had died 3 months ago. of course i'm talking about george harrison's son, dhani. olivia, dhani's mom had passed away due to an unexpected car accident. while george was grieving, he met me at a record store and the two of us hit it off.

i was spending a lot of time with george. so much so his son started to feel a certain way about it. dhani would glare at me everytime i would walk into the room he was in or he would move away if i wanted to sit beside him. he didn't too much talking, which came off as kinda a joke considering he was the quiet one's son. i understood it though. i was the new girlfriend, i wasn't his mother, i was just julia.

i tried to be cordial with him, however, he didn't want to be that way with me. on this particular day, i had just finished cleaning the house. i had mopped all the floors, vacuumed the house, dusted, and made sure things were neat for george, who was returning back from tour today. as i did the dishes in the sink, dhani ran in from outside trekking mud onto the freshly mopped floors. he dropped his dirty skateboard in the living room getting mud on the freshly vacuumed carpets as i turned around.

"dhani! i just cleaned." i exasperated. now, it wasn't the kids fault, but i had spent my entire day cleaning and now it was as if it was for nothing.

"it was an accident julia." he replied while i glanced at him, sympathetically,

"i know it was, but can we please remember to take our shoes off at the door? and leave our skateboard by the front door outside?"i replied softly.

he glanced at me with hooded eyes, "you're not my mother!"

it was here his words shot through me like an arrow, i gasped a bit before closing my eyes, "dhani, honey, i'm not trying to be your mother, i'm just asking a simple favor of you. can you do that for me please?" i reiterated, still keeping that calm tone.

"fine julia!." he quipped, getting his skateboard from the living room as he went to his room.

i sat in the kitchen silently for a few seconds before bursting into tears. a few hours later george had came back home as he walked into the eeriely quiet home.

"dhani?! julia?! i'm home!" he called out as he heard me crying. he followed the noise until he saw me on the floor, sobbing.

"julia! what happened baby? did something happen?" he cooed, scooping me up in his arms.

"i-i-i-i just tried to ask dhani to remove his shoes at the door as well as his skateboard because i spent the day trying to clean up the house for you and he yelled at me saying i'm not his mother!" i croaked out, staring at george, "i'm not trying to be his mother! at all. i just asked a simple favor. i don't think i can do this anymore." i admitted as george glared at me,

"don't leave me. i am so in love with you julia, it's unreal. i will talk to my son, but please don't let him be the reason our happiness is effected. he's grieving, he's 13. he's adjusting to life without his mom, and while that's no excuse to treat you like shit, he's just a boy. i'm sorry." george whispered, stroking my dark curly hair back behind my ear. he laid a kiss on my temple before hugging me tightly.

i gently looked up at him before nodding, "alright babe." i smiled, kissing his lips softly.

george kissed back, pulling away as he went to go talk to dhani. dhani was playing video games when george knocked on his doorway, "got a minute son?"

"yeah what is it dad?" he replied, not turning around to see george.

this kind of annoyed george. he cleared his throat before crossing his arms, "pause the game son. i need to talk to you."

dhani did as he was told, turning around to face george, "yes dad?"

"what have you said to julia?" he questioned raising a brow.

"nothing dad! i didn't say anything to her!" he whined.

"really? so then why is she crying about you saying to her that she's not your mother! after asking you to do a simple task?" george asked while he walked in to take a seat on dhani's bed.

"i was just mad dad. i wasn't thinking and it just slipped out!! i didn't mean to make her cry. i just...i just miss mom." he sighed as he looked down.

"i know you miss her son, i miss her so much too, but julia is in our lives now and she makes me so happy. she is trying to do the best she can as extra help! not your parent. she's my girlfriend and i love her and she loves you because you're my son." he smiled as dhani nodded.

"now go downstairs and apologize to her, and from this moment on you will respect her understand?" george warned with an arched brow.

"yes dad." dhani responded as he walked downstairs to find me.

i was cleaning up the rest of the mess when he approached me, "mom?"

i had stopped what i was doing as i looked at him. did he just call me mom? i couldn't believe what i was hearing! he had never called me mom before! only julia, or dad's girlfriend, or lady, but never mom. i smiled as i glanced up at him,

"yes sweetie?" i smiled.

"i'm sorry for snapping at you and ruining your clean house. dad and i talked and i want to be better to you mom. do you forgive me?" he whispered looking down.

i grabbed him into a tight hug, "of course i do! i love you dhani."

he hugged me back, "i love you more mom." he grinned.

***
later that night george and i were in bed watching the telly as i read a book, when george broke the ice, "how was dhani's apology?" he asked glancing over at me over the brim of his night glasses.

"it went great! you'll never believe what he called me." i responded, still reading my book.

"what'd he call you dear?" george smiled, flipping through the channels.

"mom. he called me mom." i replied as george placed the remote down,

"what? honey that's great!" he celebrated.

"isn't it?! i was so shocked. i just couldn't believe it." i blushed out of pride as george grasped my thigh, patting it gently.

"thats our boy." he smiled, while i did the same.

"he is." and with that we both continued on doing what we were doing.