6 Levi

The first thing I do when I get back is put the horse in the stables and put my things in my room. It's near the end of the day and I go to the Commander's office.

"How was your leave?" he asks.

"It was relaxing."

"Did you think about the squad members you want?"

"I did. I haven't decided yet. I was wondering if you could tell me what you think of some of my options."

"You're the one doing the assessing."

"Yes, I know. But in a few days, you'll be seeing her skills."

"You're considering the cadet you're training?" His eyebrows raise a little.

"Barely."

He tilts his head slightly in confusion. "I'll tell you what I think of her."

"Thank you." I nod.

"Anything else?"

"No, sir."

"What about the people you visited? Are they well?" He knows about Petra's and my child.

"They are. The boy is healthy and annoying."

He smiles slightly. "Does he have a name yet?"

"Petr Rale Ackerman."

"Named after his mother." I notice his eyes grow slightly sad at the mention of Petra. She was a light in many lives, not just mine.

"Yes." I nod.

"Alright. You can go now." He looks down at his desk, dismissing me. I turn and walk out. The trainees will be training right now, so I don't have to do anything for the rest of the day.

I'm still wearing the maneuver gear, so I walk to the forest. I swing around and loose myself in moves too fast for the human eye. I pause after forty-five minutes or so to catch my breath and calm my heartbeat. Then I keep going, keep driving myself to go faster and faster.

Until I go too fast for myself and have to stop.

I pause for only an instant before continuing. Cables barely have a hold on trees before I call them back just to hit another tree for only an instant. I change directions a million times in each second. The ground becomes the sky and then a wall to my side as I twist and turn and flip through the trees. Directions, time, trees, they all blur together and my mind snaps into its automatic state.

***

She burst into applause. She loved watching me use the gear as fast as I could.

"You're so amazing!" she called to me.

I swung nearer to her. She was standing on a large branch near the trunk of a tree. I landed a few feet away, facing her. She smiled at me. I really liked how her eyes squinted slightly when she smiled and the little dimple in her cheek. The light hit her brown eyes, making them a honey color in comparison to the darker trees.

"You're not even going to say "thank you"?" she teased.

"No."

"Come on!" She stepped forward and put her hands on my shoulders. She shook me a little. "Say thank you or I will cut your head off, Levi Ackerman."

"That's Captain to you, brat."

"Ouch." She stepped away from me. The smile had receeded, but was still there, like it usually was.

"Are you in pain, soldier?"

"Yes. I just got verbally stabbed."

"Let it go. Whoever just stabbed you probably hates everything about you. There's nothing you can do."

"Oh, yes there is." She got a mischevious glint in her eye.

"What can you do?" I dared her.

"There are lots of things I can do." She stepped closer to me again. "Like this." I let her bring her face closer to mine. Her lips touched my lips and I moved my arm around her waist to hold her closer to me. Her hands hugged my back and moved soothingly. When we separated, I reached the arm not around her waist up to touch her cheek. She smiled.

"I think he still hates you," I said.

"We'd better fix that." She smiled and went in for another kiss. This one was about the same length. "Do you love me, Captain Levi Ackerman?"

She knew I didn't like showing or expressing feelings and affection. She also knew that when I did say I loved her, it was when I really loved her. She could tell what I meant when I called her a brat or shot her glares.

I tilted my head a little, the ghost of a smile in my eyes, and said, "Yes," because I did.

***

Petra was determined, brave, dedicated, loyal, lighthearted, comfortable, strong, skilled, and so much more. She told me she loved me so many more times than I did. I've wondered if she even knew how much I loved her. If I didn't show it much, did she know? Could she tell? Sometimes it seemed like she could, while other times she seemed completely oblivious. I know it was my fault. She had just gotten me to open up, to express myself in ways I hadn't in years. But her death has made me realize that I don't want it ever again. I would never be much of a husband or lover. I wouldn't be able to spend much time with them unless they were in the Scouts. And then I would want them to stay safe away from the titans. If I couldn't protect Petra, how could I protect anyone else? I don't want to feel that way ever again.

Hmmm. So how is Ecyn going to get him to fall for her? And that memory was adorable. (Is that weird to find my characters adorable? They're technically not mine so...) But thanks for reading! I liked writing this chapter... this part! Vote please! Comment! :D

(The picture is something one of my friends made out of legos. More angles will be shown throughout the chapter.)