25 Ecyn

I talk to the squad leaders, and they all are more than happy to let a few of their members be on my squad. I thank each of them.

Then I wonder who else I should have. I don't want someone who's below average in skills, average for the Scouting Legion. I try to think of what I need. Fellip is large and probably the strongest. I remember Qui having quick reactions, and she could balance really well on the maneuver gear. I haven't seen any of her friend Jewel's experiences, so I don't know about her. Then there's Briine. Just thinking about him makes my mood plummet. I guess he's good with maneuver gear.

I need to find another member for my squad. Maybe I should ask Hanji or just another one of the captains for advice.

***

On the way to dinner, two people stop me and ask me how my birthday is going. I don't even know them that well, so I know something is going on. The second I walk through the door to the dining hall, I know.

They threw a birthday party for me.

Green tablecloths cover the tables, and green streamers hang from the ceiling. I'm guessing someone remembered my favorite color.

Yes I did, Ecyn. You're welcome.

Everyone cheers loudly and it all surprises me for a second. I stand in the doorway until Hanji takes my hand and pulls me to the table with Commander Erwin at it. I've attended enough Scouting Legion birthday celebrations to know what happens. Hanji gives me a cone birthday hat, and I put it on.

Then we start dinner. I remember in the kitchen Jeyla casually asked me what my favorite meal was. I told her it was fried chicken.

Took me about three minutes to come up with that.

Commander Erwin makes conversation with me and everyone else at the table except Ackerman. Everyone is laughing and smiling. It seems a lot happier than Ackerman's birthday party, for obvious reasons.

After dinner, Hanji has me stand on my chair. Everyone sings Happy Birthday as Jeyla carries out a giant cake decorated in fancy green icing. Then I blow out the candles as Hanji sings a song of her own invention. At first, I'm touched by the thought, but it isn't long before smiles are forced at Hanji. Not only does she have a bad singing voice, but she also can't rhyme.

Everyone eats the cake when she's done. It's white on the inside, and the icing is really good. The cake is huge and it feeds everyone that wants a piece.

Hanji brings over a small pile of presents and cards, and sets them in front of me. I'm surprised I actually got something. Who would give me a present?

Hanji's is the first one I pick up. It's about the size of a square plate six inches tall. When I open it, I see a stuffed sheep. It's not real, just a stuffed animal.

Commander Erwin's present is next. I'm surprised he actually got me something, but I'm grateful. It's a book. It looks interesting.

I open about six cards. Then I find a small present. "Whose is this?" I hold it up and look around, but no one claims it. So I open it. Inside is a small blue stone on a chain.

It's really pretty. I ask Hanji to put it around my neck. Then I ask again to see who gave it to me. No one speaks up.

"Thank you!" I call. I don't know why anyone would give me a present and not tell me who they are. Do I have some secret admirer or something?

No. It's probably just another Scout who thought I should get something on my birthday and didn't want anyone to judge him. Or her.

It's practically a ritual that we play Pin the Nape on the Titan. I accidentally pin the nape upside down on a cloud behind the titan. Someone makes a comment questioning whether I should be a captain or not. She's joking, but she gives me an apologetic look in case I got offended. I laugh so she knows I'm not.

As the night progresses, the dining hall gets louder and louder. A lot of them drink alcohol and a few get really drunk. One woman started sobbing over a leaf. At least, I think it was a leaf. A man helped her out, probably to her room.

I don't drink any alcohol, remembering what it did to me last time. I turn down all twenty thousand offers of a bottle. Legally, I'm not allowed to drink unless it's approved by my parents or guardian. Right now, I belong to the military. As long as an officer in my division approves of it, I can legally drink as much as I want.

As much as I want actually means none to me. I don't like being drunk. You say things you don't mean and end up with a headache.

Hanji leans to the side and lays back on me. She might be drunk, but it's kind of hard to tell.

Hanji seems drunk all the time, and Levi seems sober all the time.

Everyone laughs and makes jokes. I have a really good time. This is probably one of the best days I've ever had.

Judging by how much I think I wrote in this story back around Chapter One, I think around this time last year was when I started writing Shorter Than Me. So as we celebrate Ecyn's birthday, we'll also celebrate Shorter Than Me's. Yay!!! Has anyone been here since the beginning? Or near the beginning? Or the middle? Or the end?

Also, thanks for the 17K reads and all the votes and comments. Hearts, kitties, and toy cars to everyone. :D