17 Levi

The first thing we need to do is get Jaeger to his horse. Then we actually have a chance of getting him back alive. If he was a titan, that would be so much easier. He's probably too exhausted to transform now so that option is ruled out.

There are only two more options. He walks, or someone carries him.

Or someone carries someone else.

"Guiin."

"Yes, sir?"

I turn to look at her. "Give your maneuver gear to Jaeger."

She looks surprised, but starts to remove her gear without a complaint. Maybe she thinks I'm going to abandon her here. I remember her fear.

"Jaeger will use it to get to our horses. Then he'll give it back."

"But, sir, how will I get there?" She steps back as Jaeger lifts her 3DMG and starts putting it on.

"Someone's going to carry you."

She looks even more surprised. Then she looks like she feels awkward, glancing around and trying to find out who I'm going to get to do it. I'm going to choose one of the stronger ones. The Scouts on Hanji's squad are older than the ones on mine.

Haha Levi is way older than everyone on his squad.

Two of them might be strong enough, Kale and Sajen.

"Kale, can you carry her and use the maneuver gear at the same time?" I ask.

"I don't know, sir." He looks between Guiin and me.

"Then try," I order.

"Yes, sir." He and Guiin step closer to each other. Guiin looks awkward as Kale tries to figure out how to carry her.

"Either on your shoulder or bridal style," Guiin suggests.

"Is that possible?"

"Very."

"Hurry up," I say. They're wasting time. There are probably titans less than a hundred yards away.

Kale puts his arm behind her back and she jumps so that he can catch her legs. He lifts her up.

"I don't think I can do this. Not for very long, at least." He sets her down.

"Sajen," I say.

He steps forward and Guiin walks to him. He tries to carry her the same way Kale did.

"She's throwing me off balance. I'm sorry, sir." He sets her down.

That leaves only one more freaking option.

"Alright. We're leaving Guiin here. Hanji, you lead everyone back and I'll take the rear."

"Captain!" Guiin almost yells. Everyone looks surprised.

"Go right now," I say in a firm voice. "No questions. We don't have time to waste."

Hanji jumps into the trees, followed by the rest. I wait until they're all out of sight. Then I turn to Guiin.

So there are now over 6 thousand reads. Here is the reward of my happiness. Just this part with somewhat of a cliffhanger. Haha yes, I'm evil. But I promise Chapter 17 is almost done. Unless I want an abnormal amount of POV changes. Thanks for so many reads. Hearts, kitties, and toy cars all around!

(By the way, I'm not going to publish the rest of Chapter 17 until it's all finished. In case that wasn't clear.)