28 Ecyn

Commander Erwin saves me the trouble of finding a new member for my squad by assigning me two boys. They're each a year older than me. They might be a little doubtful about being led by a girl who's younger than them, but maybe I've already proven myself to the whole Scouting Legion. Their names are Tyler Phodos and Josh Elirah. Both have been in the Scouting Legion for about half a year. The Commander leaves me with them to get to know them.

"What are your strengths?" I ask them.

Phodos answers first. "I'm pretty good with the maneuver gear, but not extremely flexible. But I'm strong and I can kill a titan, so that's all that matters, ma'am." He looks large, which is slightly intimidating because I'm so much smaller than him.

"Good. And you?" I turn to Elirah.

"I'm more flexible and less strong, but I can kill a titan too, Captain."

"That's good. How many expeditions have you been on?"

"Five, ma'am."

"More than me, then." I can't help being intimidated a little. They're both taller than me and they're both more experienced than me. It seems every time I meet someone new I question the Commander's decision to make me a captain.

"I'm sure Commander Erwin had a reason for making you a captain, ma'am. It's not based on your experience or age, but more on your skill as a Scout and leader," Phodos says.

"Yeah. Like I couldn't be the leader of a squad because I'm too busy focusing on all the titans and myself on an expedition. But the Commander must see better leadership in you than almost anyone else, ma'am," Elirah adds.

"Are you two trying to butter me up or something?" I look at them suspiciously.

Elirah laughs. "Probably, ma'am, because we want you to like us. And also because it's true and we're trying to make conversation."

I nod with a small smile. "Alright."

I could totally make her fall in love with one of these guys. What do you think? :P

"And Captain Levi chose you for his squad, so that proves you're more skilled than most of the other Scouts, ma'am."

"Alright, alright." It makes me a little uncomfortable that they're complimenting me as much as they are. "We should do a little training as a squad to get to know each other. And since you have more experience than me, don't be afraid to correct me if I'm wrong or tell me a better way to do something."

"Yes, ma'am," they both say.

"And don't call me Captain Guiin. Captain or Captain Ecyn are fine."

"Yes, ma'am," Elirah says.

"Yes, Captain Ecyn," Phodos replies.

I point to Phodos. "He wins." I smile.

Elirah rolls his eyes.

I put on a mock stern face. "Go run until the sun sets," I order. Hopefully they'll get the reference to Instructor Shadis, the training corps director. Having the trainees run until the sun set was his favorite punishment for the worst rule-breakers.

"Yes, ma'am." He looks down and starts to turn away. I can tell he isn't taking me seriously.

"Never mind. I'm feeling generous today." I take them both to where Fellip is talking with a small group of people. He turns to me.

"These two are Tyler Phodos and Josh Elirah." I point to each one. "They're our new squad members. If you're not too busy, I'd like you to show them their new room. After lunch I want our squad to do some training together, so meet me outside the dining hall after lunch."