25 Levi

I choose Braun for my squad. His squad leader is more than willing to let him be in my squad when I ask, and Braun is also willing.

Braun is Reiner by the way.

I notice Guiin walking around throughout the day. I also notice her talking to one of her friends, or one she doesn't spend time with anymore. Atkins. I don't hear their conversation, but she's probably asking him to be in her squad. Later I see her talking with some of the squad leaders. They probably won't turn her down. She's a new captain, so they'll want to be nice.

***

Hanji approaches me. I stay where I am.

"Levi," she says in a quiet tone, like she's trying to hide a secret. "Today is Ecyn's birthday."

"Does that matter?"

"Yes! We're throwing her a surprise party tonight. Do you want to sign the card?"

It's nice that Hanji tries, but she has to know her efforts will be fruitless.

"No." Why would I sign a card? Isn't my mandatory presence at the party enough?

"Are you getting her a present?"

"Why would I get her a present? And seeing as I didn't even know about it until now, why would I suddenly feel the urge to get a last-minute present for anyone?"

"It was just a suggestion, Levi. You did train her. I thought you of all people be one of the first people to get her a present, but I guess I was wrong."

"You're wrong too much. It makes you waste my time." I start to walk away.

"What do you even do in your spare time?" she calls after me. I don't respond.

***

Petra's birthday was probably sad for her at first. As usual, I didn't even look at her at breakfast. Maybe she had wished I would do something different, but I didn't. All day, as people were wishing her a happy birthday and giving her extra smiles, I barely glanced at her. At dinner when a party was thrown, I sat and looked bored like usual. None of her presents were from me. She glanced at me many times, hoping that I'd give her a small smile or even a wink, but I didn't. Her rejected expression hurt to see, but I told myself to wait until later that night.

I walked to her room. She was alone in the room because she was the only woman on my squad. I knocked quietly on her door. She answered after about ten seconds of me panicking that she'd gone to sleep.

She cracked the door open, and then pulled it open more once she realized who it was.

"Hello, Levi." Her voice was sadder than normal.

"Hello, Petra." She closed the door behind me. "I have something for you." I held out a small box. I didn't have any means of wrapping it, so I just left it in the box.

My phone just changed Petra to Petrol and I got so mad.

"You got me a present?"

"Of course I did. It's your birthday."

"Well you kind of ignored me the whole day." I could hear the hurt in her voice.

"I know." I was struggling with whether I should apologize or not.

"And?" She hadn't even taken the box from me yet.

"And?"

She crossed her arms and stepped back. "Do I need to spell it out for you, Levi?" Her tone was angry.

"Fine. I'm sorry I barely looked at you and didn't smile or anything."

"Apology accepted." She uncrossed her arms and moved back closer to me.

"Do you want this?" I held the present out again.

"Jeez, Levi. You are the worst gift-giver ever." She rolled her eyes, smiled, and took the box. She lifted the lid off. Then she pulled a small chain from inside. Attached to the chain was a small, plain silver locket. Her face broke into a smile. "Where did you get this?"

"It's a secret."

"You didn't make it, did you?"

I scoffed.

"Can you put it on me?" She handed it to me and turned around, pulling her hair out of the way. It was a bit longer then. She had it cut a few months before we went on her last expedition.

I put it around her neck, then hugged her from the back.

"No fair. You have to let me turn around. I want to hug you," she complained.

I hugged her tighter so she couldn't move. I was stronger than her. "Did you have a good birthday?"

Prequel: Stronger Than Her

"Mostly. It's ending happy."

"It'll get better." I released her and grabbed her hand. I pulled her out of the room and back to mine.

A few months later, we found out she was pregnant.

Hmmm. I wonder why!

Thanks for reading.

Question. Which do you like better?

 Which do you like better?

or

Thanks again!

Thanks again!