17 Levi

When I walk back into my room after breakfast, I see the box on my desk. It takes me a few seconds to remember, but I notice the holes. I open the lid and see a ferret. He's breathing, but laying in a weird position.

What do ferrets eat?

I sigh and walk to the kitchen. Are ferrets carnivores?

When I enter the kitchen, Jeyla looks up from cleaning the counter. "Yes?"

"Do you know what ferrets eat?"

She looks surprised, then remembers the party. "Meat I think. Do you need some?"

"Yes. And do you have some kind of container that can hold water for it?"

"I do. Just give me a second." She drops the rag she was using and hurries to somewhere.

I hear Commander Erwin's deep voice through the wall. I glance at the door leading to the dining hall and wonder who he's talking to.

Jeyla comes back. "Here you go." She holds a small bowl out to me and a piece of raw meat.

I don't know what ferrets eat. I just read this long thing on the internet and I still don't know. Sorry.

I take them. She grabs her rag and starts to walk away. "Jeyla."

She stops and turns.

"You missed a spot." I point to where she was cleaning. If she wants to clean, she has to do it right. I walk out and back to my room. I set the meat in the box and go to the bathroom to fill the bowl with water. When I come back, the ferret hasn't moved. It is still breathing so I carefully lift it up. It lays limp in my hand, but its eyes are open. I open its mouth slightly and see large teeth. I push the meat against his nose and a few seconds later, he nibbles it. He eats a lot and when he's done, I set him next to the water. He drinks a lot as well and I just watch him. He drinks with his tongue, which is weird. It's inefficient for humans. When he's done drinking, he looks back to normal. What is normal for a ferret?

He runs around my desk, sniffing things. He looks over the edge more than once, but decides not to risk the drop. He climbs pretty well. It's kind of interesting to watch. After a few minutes, I pick him up again. His tiny claws grab onto my clothes and crawl onto my shoulder. He sniffs my hair and crawls across my neck to the other shoulder. A shiver runs up my spine at the feeling. Then he pokes his nose down my arm and I lift him off. I set him on the floor and sit in my chair.

He runs around sniffing things.

This is really cute haha.

There's a quick knock on my door before it opens.

"Hello, Levi!" Hanji announces.

"What are you doing?"

Hanji notices the ferret on the ground. "It's Ferret!" She kneels down and picks him up. She touches her nose to his. "Hello. This is Hanji. You are Ferret." She says in a sappy sweet voice.

I stand up and take my ferret from her. "Don't touch my ferret." I set him in his box. "You're going to contaminate him."

"With what?" She looks at the box and sees the remaining piece of meat. "Do ferrets eat meat?"

"Yes." I glare at her.

"Well anyway! I just wanted to check on you. Erwin needed to talk to me about something!" Then she practically sings, "Goodbye, Levi!" She dances out of my room. I need to remember to lock my door. I do that now.

Then I reach inside the box where the ferret is running around. I pet him. He's pretty soft. In a split second, he manages to claw his way up my arm and sits on my shoulder.

There's another knock on the door.

Go away, Hanji. "What do you want?" I place the ferret back in the box and walk to the door.

"I want to talk to you, sir." It's Guiin, not Hanji.

I unlock the door and open it. She steps inside and I close the door again.

Now is the cute alone time with Levi. :)

"What do you want?" I repeat.

"I just wanted to thank you for not leaving me at the cliff. I'm really grateful that you would do that and... um..." She trails off and looks down. The ferret makes a scratching sound on the box and she glances at it.

"Is that all?" I ask.

"Yes." She nods.

"You may leave now."

She hesitates for a moment. "Sir?"

"What?"

"Can I... pet him?" She points to the ferret.

I sigh. "Fine."

She turns to the box and reaches inside. She gices a cry of surprise when he crawls up her arm and she takes a few steps back. She smiles, looking at it on her shoulder. Then she prys it off and holds him out to me. I take it.

Yes, their hands brushed but it wasn't significant enough to Levi for him to notice it. :(

"Thank you again, sir." She turns and walks out. I close the door again.

Ferret crawls back up to my shoulder.

To be honest, I would rather have left Jaeger than Guiin. She has more skill and is less annoying. But Jaeger is more vital to humanity. He's also heavier and I would never ever carry him.

I realize I'm subconsciously stroking Ferret.

Guess what? I'm a writer who doesn't know how to end a chapter. Enjoy your day!