15 Ecyn

I wake up in my bed. My first thought is that Briine took me here like he did before, but Briine wouldn't have. And he didn't know where I was.

Captain Levi did.

"Mikasa, how did I get in here?" I ask her.

"I was asleep."

"Did I walk in?"

"I don't know."

I have a nagging feeling that she's lying, but I'd rather let the subject drop than calling her out on it. "Alright. Are we doing the same thing today as yesterday?"

"You know as much as I do."

"We're probably fighting again then."

"Probably. Where did you go last night?"

"The captain wanted to practice fighting. He ended up just beating me up."

"Oh," is all she says. I don't expect much from her. She's not very talkative.

I'm still wearing my uniform and it's very uncomfortable. I'm not wearing the straps, though. Did I take them off?

I stand up and immediately feel sore and beaten. I probably have a few bruises and I'll most likely get more.

My boots and my jacket lie on the ground as if they were just dropped there by someone. I quickly get dressed in a fresh set of clothes and shove the old ones in the laundry basket.

Mikasa leaves before me and I step out alone. I sit with them at breakfast, but don't engage myself in their conversation. Maybe I'm too tired or I feel sore. Or maybe I want to be alone.

I walk to training with them. I do talk, but politely. They pair up and leave me with Captain Levi. Please don't kill me.

He doesn't say hello or anything, just steps toward me with the knife ready to strike.

Maybe I learned something last night and maybe I didn't. Either way, I end up on the ground.

Captain Levi wins every time and I can't help wondering how this is helping me.

After practice, we have an hour of free time and I go to my room. I finish my book in fifteen minutes. I don't know what to do. I feel alone. I can't ever really join the group that I'm in. They're all way too close to each other. Briine was my only other option and he destroyed it.

I realize I haven't written a letter home since I've joined the Scouting Legion. I find a blank sheet of paper and start writing.

Mother and Caine,

I joined the Scouts like I said I would. I was individually trained by Captain Levi Ackerman. He's called humanity's strongest soldier, but he doesn't act like it. I'm in his squad now with some great people. We're going on an expedition soon.

I don't want them to worry, so I add,

It's not too dangerous, so don't be scared.

Recently I got very close to one of the other cadets. He was killed in the last expedition. So were most of the other cadets I trained with. Briine is still alive.

Because he was selfish. Because he hid while everyone else fought. Because he doesn't deserve to carry the Wings of Freedom on his back.

I'm doing well. The food is good and everyone here is nice to each other. Mostly. How are you? Do you have enough money? How often does the money I earn come to you? How is the weather? We had a week or so of heavy rain.

I'm just writing aimlessly. It doesn't seem very professional.

A few weeks ago, I caught Titan Fever. I couldn't train or anything and I was very tired, but I'm all better now. The nurse they have here is very good, though not as good as you, Mother. I still miss seing you both. I hope I can visit soon, though there's no telling when exactly.

I love you both,
Ecynya Guiin

I fold it up and put it in an envelope. Then I adress it and set it off to the side so I don't forget about it.

I still have lots of time, so I walk outside.

Awww her letter was cute. I noticed I had no mention of her mother or her brother at all and I'm already on Chapter 15.

Poor Ecyn. Will she ever find a friend, or will they keep betraying her trust or going and dying on her?