27 Ecyn

I stand outside the dining hall where envelopes are being handed out by Hanji. It seems like I was just here with Briine waiting to get the envelope for Dren. Now it's for Briine.

Once I get the envelope, I walk to the stables to get my horse. Fellip brings me a bag with Briine's possessions. All the Scouts leave in a horde. Some break off when the road splits, but most of us stay together for the first hour. I keep mostly silent. Everyone is in pairs while I'm alone. By the time I get to the town where my family is, there are only two other groups. We go our separate ways once we enter the town. I make my way to my house. My mother runs out and hugs me the second I jump off my horse.

"Ecyn, I'm so happy you're here." She hugs me tightly. I know she worries about me all the time, but there's nothing I can do to help that other than abandon the military.

"Me too. I brought this for you." I hand her the flower I picked yesterday. "Is Caine home?"

I don't think I ever found a name for Ecyn's brother... So here it is. Brought to you by xXCrystalRainXx.

"Thank you." She takes the flower, smiling. "Yes. He practically never leaves the house anymore. I don't know why." She shrugs and leads me inside. "How long are you going to be staying?"

"Just a few hours. I just need... Caine needs to be here."

Her expression turns darker, sensing the somber nature of my visit. Then she gets a small vase and fills it with water for the flower. She sets it on the table before going to knock on Caine's door. "Caine, Ecyn is here." A few seconds pass before he opens the door and steps out. He closes the door behind him. I walk to him to hug him.

Once I step away, I say, "So... Um... Do you want to sit down?"

We sit down at the table and I try to find a way to start.

"On the last expedition... Um..." I know I shouldn't give them any suspense, so I try to get it out quickly. "Briine was killed."

My mother gasps and covers her mouth with her hands. I glance at Caine. Briine was practically his big brother. "He's dead?" He asks. It's like he's confirming it.

"Yes."

"Did you see him, or did he just go missing?"

I stare at him. Is there something he knows? "No. I saw him." That's what I put on the expedition report. I glance at my mother, but she's looking down. I mouth to him, "What?"

He just looks away and takes a deep breath. I can tell he's close to tears as well.

My mother is almost sobbing. I put my hand on her shoulder. "He saved me from a bunch of titans. He was being brave." Now I want to cry.

"Did you kill the titan that killed him?" Caine asks me.

I don't want to lie, but I have to. What should I say? "Yes. The titan that killed him is dead." Again, I follow what I wrote on my report.

"Was he eaten?" Why is he asking so many questions? He avoids my gaze.

"Yes, he was eaten." There was no body, so I have to say he was eaten.

"Did you put him on your necklace?" my mother asks.

"What?"

"The necklace your cousin Gabrell gave you for your birthday. The one with a notch in it for all the people you care about."

"Oh. No, I didn't think about it. I should do that." I'd never even thought about the necklace until now. I just put it on every day.

"Here, use this." Caine pulls a pocketknife from his pocket.