10 Levi

This expedition is made up of a lot of waiting. Around thirty titans are seated. Thirty more stand shakily, fighting the urge to sit. The rest, the largest ones, stand. They still try to reach us. It's been at least three hours, quite possibly more. The shortie sits with one of her friends who is creepily petting her hair.

But of course, it's not creepy.

***

"I like it when you do that," she mumbled.

"I like it when I do it too." I was stroking her soft hair. I paused to kiss the top of her head. We were on my bed. I was sitting with my back against the wall and she was laying with her head on my lap. She stared into my eyes and smiled. Just through her eyes, I could tell she was completely and utterly in love with me. I didn't know if my expression was like hers or not.

"Can you smile for me?" Her voice was quiet and tired. It was soft.

"Why would I do that?" I placed my hand on her cheek and rubbed my thumb across it. It was impossibly soft.

"As a goodnight present." Her eyes closed halfway. She blinked slowly. Her eyes wanted to close. I brushed the lids shut with two fingers. Then I kissed her forehead.

Her arms reached up to grab my head and pulled me down to meet my lips with hers. "I love you." She smiled slightly. I was grateful she drifted off before I had to reply.

I fell asleep with her hair tangled around my fingers.

***

Almost half of the titans are sitting. Some are laying down as well. Hanji keeps asking Commander Erwin if she can go down to see them up close but he refuses to let her.

"But Levi can protect me!"

"Don't be too sure," I say. She shoots me a glare and turns back to the commander.

"Please!"

"No. It's not safe. If we lost you, no one would be able to replace you."

"Aww. Thanks." She grins proudly at me, as if trying to rub it in my face.

"We're going to have to stop soon, though."

"But I don't have enough results! It's only been six hours!"

"Only," I scoff.

"We need to get back at sunrise. That's the plan."

"Can I stay here? You could give me enough food for a week or so and I could-" she starts.

"No. We've talked about this before. It's not safe."

Hanji gives an exasperated huff. "Fine. When do we leave the forest?"

"Half an hour."

"Very well." She jumps away to observe the titans more.

"Sir," I say.

"Yes, Levi?" He turns to me.

"Since they're all here in one spot and half of them look exhausted, it might be a good idea to kill them while we can. It might reduce the amount of human lives lost on the way back."

"I was thinking that too. Is your squad able to do it?"

"Yes."

"I'll get some more of the squads to do it too. Wait until I give the order."

I nod. Then I turn around and swing to my squad. They're all sitting, bored. "In about thirty minutes Commander Erwin is going to order us to go down and kill as many titans as we can. Jaeger, don't turn into a titan or I will cut you out and throw you to the titans."

"Yes, sir." He looks a little intimidated. Ackerman looks like she usually does. Arlert has a slightly scared expression, but I can see determination in his face. Kerstien looks determined as well. The shortie looks scared, but the guy next to her has a protective arm around her. His name is Reardon if I remember correctly.

Yes, that's his last name. I don't know if I had it written before and I didn't want to go on a hunt to find it. So if I had it as something else, please tell me so I can change either one or the other. Thanks! :D

And that's the awkward end of Chapter Ten!