Can't Lose You, Too

|Jamie's POV|

It's been two days since Izzy's surgery and the doctors plan on bringing her out of the medical induced coma within the next 24 hours. Even though surgery was half the battle, Izzy still wasn't awake. Would she remember me? Would she remember her husband and kids? Would she ever get back to the woman she was before?

My mind has been burdened with endless questions. I've had no appetite. Haven't eaten since the evening before her surgery. I couldn't sleep. As restless as I was, I just knew, this is where I needed to be.

I felt like a horrible wife and mother, neglecting my husband and children at the moment. I couldn't pull myself away from Izzy's side. I need her to wake up. I needed to hear her laugh. I needed to hear her voice. I needed my sister.

I heard heavy footsteps behind me. I didn't bother to turn around figuring it was one of my uncles. Uncle Paul and Aunt Steph had left with the girls. My uncles had been in and out since Izzy was admitted.

"Let's go get some fresh air and a bite to eat," I heard from behind me.

I turned, seeing Uncle Kev standing there.

It had been a rough year for him having lost Uncle Scott and his one and only child, his son Tristen. He said he was managing, but I couldn't imagine the pain of burying a child. I've spent quite a bit of time with him since then. I'm glad this extended family of ours has been able to give him some type of comfort as he's given all of us over the years.

"Not hungry," I muttered.

"That wasn't a request. Come on," he commanded.

I sighed.

"Uncle Kev..."

"Jamie, I'm not going to have you in a hospital bed next because you're not taking care of yourself. You haven't eaten in days. Looking at your eyes, you haven't slept much either. Let's go, Jamie or I'll drag your ass out of here," he snapped.

I rolled my eyes and followed him outside. I felt the cool breeze on my face.

"I hate leaving her."

He grabbed my hand.

"She's in the best place she can be right now and once you get some rest, you'll be back. When Izzy wakes up, she'll go right back to being a pain in your ass as you are to her."

I couldn't help but laugh. Even in our 40s, we bickered with each other.

We drove to a nearby restaurant and sat in a back booth. I stared out the window, lost in my own world. I hadn't noticed Uncle Kev had ordered food for me until a plate was placed in front of me.

"Come on, eat something."

I picked at my food before finally taking a bite. We sat in a comfortable silence. Once I was finished I was ready to go back to the hospital, but Uncle Kev had other plans.

"Where are we going?"

"I'm taking you home to your husband and your kids, but we're making a pit stop first."

"Brandon and the kids know I'm at the hospital. That's where I need to be right now."

Uncle Kev shook his head.

"Darling, you need to go home and get some actual rest. No sleeping in a hospital chair. No showering in a random bathroom. It's time you go home. Izzy will be there when you get back."

"Everyone keeps telling me that she's fine and she'll pull through. How do we know that? How can we be so sure?! She had surgery two days ago and still hasn't woken up. I have lost entirely too much in my life and Isabella is not someone I can lose. She has been by my side through everything. I feel like God can be cruel and I'm just praying that this... This can't pan out like everything else, Uncle Kev. It can't. I can't lose her."