Rid The Guilt

|Erica's POV|

Here I was sitting here and venting to Ms. Izzy. My boyfriend's mother didn't have to be here right now, but she was. She always showed up for me.

That's the thing about this family, they were always there for each other. Not just Logan and his parents and sisters. His uncles, aunts, grandparents; they all showed up, no questions asked. I was lucky to be a part of that.

"Come on," Ms. Izzy said, holding out her hand.

I took it and she led me to stand in front of the mirror we had hanging on the wall.

"Look in the mirror and say I forgive you."

I turned and looked back at her. What would that do?

"Go on. Give it a try."

She stepped back so the only thing I saw in the reflection was myself.

"I forgive you," I whispered.

"Nope, say it like you mean it."

"I forgive you," I said a little louder.

"Still not good enough. Say it with conviction, Erica."

"I forgive you!"

"There you go."

She stepped back behind me and rubbed my back.

"I forgive you. I deserve this life. I am loved. Your turn."

She stepped back again and I repeated what she said.

"Did that help?"

"Yeah, it actually did."

"When you look in the mirror, say those three things. Don't wait until you feel yourself spiraling or having self doubt, say it every day. Make it a part of your routine. It's how I was able to forgive myself."

I looked at her confused.

"I felt guilty after my surgery. I ignored my health and almost lost my life. I know that Tyler was distraught, then my kids..."

She paused, taking a deep breath.

"Throw in the rest of my family, I felt horrible. I've been to therapy, yes, but the true work begins after the sessions are over. Some days are great, some days not so much. You have to keep reminding yourself that this, all of this, you are deserving of. You deserve a family that loves you endlessly. You deserve the love of your life. You deserve peace. Embrace it."

I nodded.

"Thank you. Thank you for everything."

"You're welcome. Anytime you need me, you call. No matter the time of day, call me"

"I was hesitant to call you, but I really needed a mom today."

"You are a daughter to me Erica. Forever and always."

She then chuckled.

"Remember when Logan brought you and Lauren for lunch?" she asked.

"How could I forget? I was nervous as hell. He had just gotten the results to the paternity test and was jumping into action."

"Yup, that's how he operates. He gets that from his father. Tyler is always one to tackle things head on. Me? I put up more of a fight."

"I totally get it."

"I told you if you ever hurt Logan again, I'd be coming for you. Truth is, I wouldn't be able to let you go again. You're a part of this family and we are so happy to have you a part of it. You've blessed us with Lo and you support Logan in ways, as his mother, I could have only dreamed of."