Karma

|Zach's POV|

I was in New York and just finished a planning session at Murphy and Ethan's office. Meetings like this could easily be done virtually, but we had so much to go over, I preferred to discuss things in person. Now to head to Kansas City. Kylie had checked in on the rec center today and we had a meeting to discuss the upcoming Spring and Summer camps, among other things, before heading to California to do the same. The kids were staying with my mom and Rob.

Life post-football has been more fulfilling than when I was on the field. I have more time with my kids. Then there's Kylie. I owe so much to my wife. She's been by my side through everything. We are now both 41 and with us balancing work and home life, it can be challenging with our kids having 4 very distinct personalities, but I wouldn't trade any of it.

I was heading to the airport when I got a call from Vaughn.

Hello.

Hey, Zach.

What's up, V?

Nothing much other than I got a call from your daughter today.

I already knew she was referring to Zoe. She's been on a warpath lately. She's been disrespectful to Kylie. Being careless. When she's out with friends she's unreachable. I would talk to her, she'd straighten up for a couple of days, then be right back on her bullshit. I've shown a lot of leniency towards her as I've been in her shoes.

She was too much like me when I was that age. I was living with my mom at that time and we didn't have the relationship we have now. Once I moved with my dad, everything changed. I'm not saying spanking her will be the solution to everything, but talking isn't working anymore.

What happened?

She skipped school, again, with some friends.

I took a deep breath. I told my oldest before I left that if she pulled any shit, she'd have to deal with me. This isn't the first or second time she's skipped school. The first time, I let it slide. Hell, I had done it at her age. The second time Kylie was pissed because Zoe missed a test that was worth 25% of her grade and she decided not to show up. Thankfully, she was able to make it up. Now here we are, third strike. Looks like I need to pull a page out of my dad's book; fly back home when necessary.

Where is she now?

I took her ass back to school and signed her in. I told her I'd be back to pick her up. I called your mom and let her know what was going on and that I'd call and fill you in.

I was headed to the airport and meeting Kylie in Kansas City, but it looks like I need to make a pit stop home first.

You sure? She could stay with me and Asher until you get back.

Appreciate the offer, but I got it. I've been letting this behavior slide for far too long.

Alright. Call me later. Love you.

Love you, too.

Changing my travel arrangements, I tried to get a hold of my wife. I called her three times en route to the airport before she answered.

Hey, babe. Everything okay? I just left the rec center.

I just spoke with Vaughn. Zoe called her. She decided to skip school today.

Again? Where is she now?

V took her back to school. I'm heading home. I'll fly out tomorrow morning and meet you in KC.

I could wrap everything up here and reschedule our meeting in Cali and come home, too. I don't know what's been going on with Zoe lately, but this is getting out of hand. All she does is talk back, have an attitude with everyone, and now this? Skipping school once is something we could overlook, but this is the third time, Zachary. On top of everything else, what the hell are we doing?