No One Said It Would Be Easy

|Tyler's POV|

I had just wrapped up a call. I wouldn't be returning to work at least until 6 months post Izzy's surgery, which would be sometime this Summer. Although, I was leaning towards returning at the top of the year instead.

While I was happy that I was able to help my wife with her recovery, I was happy to have a break from work as well. Sure, I'd take weeks here and there, but I've been on the go for the past 20 plus years. I'm taking this time to evaluate just what I want to do moving forward with my career. I've been contemplating this for quite some time, Isabella's sudden surgery just really has me facing the decision I've been avoiding.

Looking at the clock, I realized the girls should be home any minute, if not already. Heading out of my office, I heard voices coming from the living room. As I got closer, I heard Mikayla's voice.

"Good thing it doesn't matter what you think. Mom, do you think dad will let me go?"

I had no idea what she was referring to, but this was definitely my cue to chime in.

"Let you go where?" I countered.

She turned, giving me her signature smile.

"Hi, daddy."

"Hi, princess. How was school?"

"It was good."

I kissed her forehead before moving and doing the same with Olivia. I then took a seat next to Izzy, Lauren wedged in between us.

"Now that we have pleasantries out of the way, what do you have to ask me?"

"Well, Stephen asked me to prom today," she stated.

"Dad, it was so cute. You know the concept of promposals?" Olivia commented.

I nodded. These kids really liked to age me.

"They did those when I was in high school. I'm not that old Olivia."

She smirked. Always the one poking fun.

"So, can I go, dad?"

Way to put me on the spot.

"Are you allowed to go?"

"Yeah, underclassmen can go to prom," she stated.

"They just can't go to any of the after prom activities. Not even the Juniors. That's exclusively for Seniors only,"  Olivia added.

"Do you need an answer right this second?" I asked Mikayla.

She pouted.

"Um, not exactly, but I did tell him yes. What else was I supposed to say when he pretty much asked me in front of the whole school?"

I looked over at Izzy. She was smiling.

"It's only one night," she commented, reading my mind.

"Please, daddy?"

Logan sucked his teeth and rolled his eyes. He'll be in my shoes one day.

"You can go."

She came over squealing and hugging me.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm going to go call Stephen and let him know."

"Hold on."

She groaned.

"Dad..."

"He picks you up and brings you back immediately after prom. No pit stops or anything. What he does after you're home isn't my concern. You can go there and straight back."