Trade

|Matteo's POV|

I just got back to Texas from California. It's official, I'm being traded to the Los Angeles Rams. I thought I would be a Buffalo Bill forever. I wasn't interested in getting traded. I was ready to negotiate my contract. The organization just wasn't moving in the direction I wanted. The team is stagnant. Four straight years we've made the playoffs and nothing has come of it. The trades haven't worked. The team is frustrated. There's a strain, for sure. I'm suggesting things, people who would be an asset and nothing is coming of it.

I'm a veteran at this point and I'm ready to settle down and start a family. Football won't be my life forever and call me selfish, but I want a ring. I've been a team player. Now it's time I look out for myself and take my career to the next level.

Amanda recently bought a condo here in LA and I went over after signing my contract. Ethan flew in as well as the lawyer to make sure everything was official. Unlocking the front door, I saw a congrats banner.

"Babe!"

I heard the door upstairs open and she came jogging down the stairs in boy shorts and an oversized Rams T-shirt.

"Hey baby."

She wrapped her arms around my neck.

"Like my new gear?"

"I love it."

"I got you a cake and a present."

"Babe, you didn't have to do all that."

"I know how much being in Buffalo meant to you. Starting over is never easy, but you have my full support. Plus, we get to trade in coats and hats for trunks and bikinis. We're officially LA, all day baby."

I smiled and kissed her again.

"Thanks for making me feel better."

She grabbed my hand leading me to the living room. There was a Rams balloon and a box. Opening it I saw she got me a custom Rams varsity jacket.

"This is fire."

"Thought you might like it. When are you going to clear out your apartment in Buffalo?"

"Within the next week or so. You know they packed up my locker and mailed my shit as soon as I said I wasn't re-signing?"

"What?"

"It's not an amicable trade. They wanted to keep me, but I didn't want to stay. You see what I'm dealing with over there. From management down to coaching, it's a mess."

She sighed.

"Well, you know I'll help you pack up. You have your house in Texas now. You can put everything there. I was thinking maybe just maybe, instead of looking for a place, you could move in here."

I looked at her. This was the love of my life and she was shy of asking me to move in.

"You sure?"

"Yeah. I mean, I get it if you want something of your own. You did help me pick out this place after all. I just..."

I silenced her with a kiss, pulling her on my lap.

"I would love nothing more than to live with you. I doubt we'll be seeing much of each other."

She smiled and started semi-jumping up and down on my lap in excitement.

"Babe, chill," I groaned.

"Oh, I'm so sorry. Well, I'm not bicoastal anymore, I'm officially stationed here in LA."

"Really?"

She quickly nodded her head up and down.

"When you told me that there was a chance of you getting traded, I went and took the offer. You were coming West regardless and what's a flight."