Same Page

|Logan's POV|

My first night alone with Lauren was fine. She asked if Erica would be staying with us. I told her not tonight and just didn't press the issue. She FaceTimed Erica before bed, showing her some of the toys she had here. I noticed she was a little sad going to sleep and I hated that she felt that way.

While she had quickly adjusted to me; she had spent her life so far with her mom. I'm sure that there will be sad moments when I'm on the road. It's a lot for a 3 year old. Right now, I had to stay focused on just making sure my princess was taken care of. Everything else was secondary. Let me get a handle on being a dad first.

After breakfast, Lauren wanted to go play. She was very self sufficient for her age. I watched as she lined up her stuffed animals for a tea party. She was talking to me in between playing with her toys when I heard my phone ringing from the kitchen.

"I'll be back in a few, baby girl."

"Kay, daddy."

I had missed the call and saw it was my mom. Just the person I wanted to talk to. She answered after a couple of rings. I could tell from the background she was on the couch.

Hey mom.

Hey, sweetheart. Where's Lauren?

Damn mom, who am I?

My only son. Now where's my granddaughter?

I shook my head.

You could ask about me, you know.

How are you? How was your first night with my squish?

I'm fine, thanks. Everything went well. I mean, as well as it could. She was sad that Erica wasn't here and asked about her when I was getting her ready for bed.

Mmm, that's to be expected. You know, when I was touring you'd be sad when I left. Your dad always found a way to cheer you up. I'm sure you found a way as well.

Yeah, she's good.

Glad to hear that. So, what is she up to now.

Shes playing with her toys. I'll put her on in a minute. I wanted to talk to you about something.

What's up? Wait, let me guess, Erica told you what I whispered to her before we ate lunch. I meant every word.

Mom...

I like Erica. Okay, like is putting it modestly. I love her like a daughter. How she went about this was wrong and it hurt you. As a parent yourself now, I'm sure you'd want to kick anyone's ass who hurts Lauren. Wouldn't you?

Yeah.

So, I made it clear that she was welcome into this family with open arms, but if she ever pulled that shit again, I'd be coming for her.

Mom, I'm a grown man and you need to know your place.

Know my place?

Wait, mom. I shouldn't have said...

I don't care if you're grown, Logan. You being 24 years old doesn't change the fact that you're my son. I'm in my 40s. Do you really think your grandparents don't get upset when something happens with me? Your Grandpa Paul will flip shit upside down if anything happens with his kids. What, you're too grown for me to be your mom? Sorry, we're locked in for life.

Mom...

You can take that damn bass out of your voice and remember who you're talking to. I know you want to defend the family you have now, but I didn't say anything disrespectful or unwarranted to Erica. We talked afterwards and what I just told you, I told her. I protect mine. You know what, she didn't have a problem with it because she's a parent, too. She got the point I was making.