Anxiety

|Mikayla's POV|

I'm supposed to be stronger than what I am. I've been struggling with my anxiety for a while now. I felt like I was managing because when I'm around my family, I'm fine. It's when I'm by myself and have to go to school that I feel sick to my stomach. It's like something is pressing down on my chest and I want to puke. 

Today at school it hit me like a ton of bricks. Nothing really important triggered me, but I felt like the walls were closing in. Stephen told me I should talk to my parents about it. My dad is going to flip that I didn't say anything. I just... I don't know.

I heard my name being called. Going to the office I saw my mom. I texted Stephen.

Not feeling well. Going home. I'll call you later.

My mom wrapped her arm around my shoulder as we walked out.

"What's wrong, baby?"

"Is it dumb that I have anxiety?" I blurted out.

She stopped walking and looked at me.

"No, it's not dumb at all, Mikayla. Has this been a recurring thing?"

I silently nodded.

"Since when?"

I sighed knowing exactly when this all started.

"Mikayla, since when?" she repeated.

"Can we talk more at home? I just want to go home."

I was holding back tears at this point. The feeling was starting to take over again.

"Yes, of course. I apologize. Let's go home."

She wrapped her arm around me again as we walked the rest of the way to the car. I leaned against the window, closing my eyes. I felt my phone vibrate. It was a text from Stephen.

What's wrong my love? Is there anything I can do?

I don't know if there was anything anyone could do. It didn't take long for us to get home. I saw Logan's truck. Entering the house, I heard voices in the kitchen.

"I'm going to go to my room and lay down," I stated.

I saw the look in mom's eyes, knowing she was studying me.

"Do you want anything? Food, a smoothie, water?"

"No, thanks mom."

"Alright."

I went up to my room and as soon as I sat on my bed, my phone started ringing. It was a FaceTime call from Stephen.

Hello.

Hey, babe. I got your text. What's wrong?

I didn't say anything. I was trying to keep my emotions in check.

Stephen...

I was hoping my voice didn't crack, but it did.

Aw, baby. It's okay. I'm right here.

I started crying. I heard his voice, but couldn't make out what he was saying. Finally, I was able to calm myself down.

There you go baby, breathe. Just breathe.

I took deep breaths and laid on my side.

I'm sorry to bother you with this.

Hey, don't say that. You have anxiety. I really think it's time you talk to your parents.

As he said that, there was a knock on my door.

"Mikayla, it's dad."

I'll call you back later, babe. That's my dad.