Chapter 2 - Let the Games Begin

Author's note:

You'll meet our favorite guy soon. I just want to establish our main gal first hehe.

If you were forced to play one game from the series, which one would it be?

Karma's POV

So it turns out that those who declined actually did get to go back to our old world, as expected. They got a laser through their heads, but this time it was blue and their bodies collapsed on impact, now soulless but no sign of blood and still breathing.

The day after the finale all the bodies were gone, even the dead ones, and those of us who chose to stay were given a phone that assigned us our suit.

My phone screen had a Queen of Diamonds card on it, although I didn't ask for it. Poor Mira was forced into a role as the Queen of Hearts.

She claims to like it, though.

I guess it's an honor, but it's hard to think that I'll be killing so many with a game of my design. I feel like I've been sentenced to inflict the pain that I'm still recovering from on to others.

I already knew the possible consequences, but I made this decision and now must live with it. I don't regret it.

Guilt is not the same as regret. I chose to be here.

I actually found that my body is still in the old world in a 'permanent' coma, according to the message I received on my new phone. This means that if I die here, I die there too.

This is very real.

Anyways, Kuzuryu got the King of Diamonds, to no surprise. He was my pre-law mentor after all.

Those who didn't receive a face card simply had a phone screen with 4 options, meaning they had the freedom to choose which suit they'd be assigned to in Phase Two.

No one chose diamond, so Kuzuryu, Juno, and I will have to stand alone in our games. At least no one will hold us back of risk screwing things up.

It's been just over two weeks since we received our phones and the world has digressed. Nature slowly withered away and it started looking like an untouched city again. Slowly but surely.

We're currently residing in the game headquarters, as it seemed to have magically reset. The bodies were cleared, there was no sign of blood, and all the destroyed technology was replenished into a brand new system.

There's also a game border at the entrance of headquarters, meaning we're stuck here until further notice. The hundreds of screens actually keep us updated on what was going on in the outside world, that was until now.

The screens went completely white.

"Mira, what's going on?" I pull my long, dark underlit hair into a ponytail and snatch a bag of cookies from the storage shelf.

She giddily smiles "We are preparing for a new round! Players will arrive today!" Her eyes are wide with excitement as she looks eagerly at the white screens. I wonder what mass life-threatening event happened this time in the old world. I shift my posture and ponder, feeling my brow twitch as I examine Mira.

She's changed since we met, and I don't blame her. She's been under a lot of pressure being the Queen of Hearts, and she's been through enough for any sane person to lose it. I swipe a crumb off of my black Nike hoodie and inhale my final cookie before the screens reveal a giant smiling Mira. Almost uncanny.