Chapter 45 - K.A.R.M.A

A/N: Sooo I took my last exam of the week today. Wish me luck! I haven't gotten the grade on this one either.

BEFORE YOU READ: Any theories on the title meaning? Hehe I'm curious.

QOTD: Weirdest phase you went through? Lolll I went through a (pls don't cringe at me) 'popular cheerleader' phase in high school. I wasn't a bully at all or anything, I just wanted to live out my high school musical/Disney movie dream. I wasn't even being myself.

I'd smack her hard if I were able to.

Karma's POV

"You're not supposed to be here."

Mira's grin is like a snake. She's smiling, but nothing about her smile seems pleased or positive at all, for that matter. It's like when a mother is pissed off at you but you're in public.

I grin back.

"Yet, here I am."

I step forward, leaving Chishiya behind, me to face Mira. She looks over my shoulder to Chishiya and back to glare right at me.

I need to play my cards carefully.

Funny how I say that considering I'm literally the Queen of Diamonds card.

"Your blimp went down. You were supposed to die."

I look back at Chishiya and he seems to fully trust me in my conversation. He gives a single nod in full faith.

Thank you.

Turning back to Mira, who's awaiting an explanation, I speak in my lawyer voice. I think now's the time to use it. Strong and authoritative.

"I did die. Did the rules say anything about resuscitation? Because I would assume I'd get a laser if that were the case," I cross my arms, challenging the system in full. No laser yet.

"No, but you made a choice."

"And I changed my mind."

"That's not part of the deal," her smile is now gone and all that's left of it is a raised corner of her mouth.

"Then I guess you need to rewrite the rules, because the deal had a loophole. Can you blame me for taking advantage of it?"

Mira stops and analyzes me. I can feel her reading me, and with her as a former psychiatrist, I know she knows what's going on. She also knows my motive.

Chishiya doesn't make a sound from behind me, so I have no idea what he's up to or where he is.

I feel like I'm on trial right now, like how in mock court trials I would have to argue technicalities of contracts and laws down to the tiniest details. Even a single mis-wording can change the law or agreement entirely.

I got lucky and considering I have gotten no laser, I think it's safe to assume I'm exempt.

Mira abruptly turns around, heading towards a rack of mallets, and grabs one. She tosses me the red one and keeps the white one, calmness on her face.