Chapter 41 - Baby Steps

A/N: Hey you beauties. Pray for me I have an exam tomorrow. Anyways!! Last chapter's interaction gave me much needed therapy.

Let's get on with it, shall we?

QOTD: If you could be transported to any fictional universe of your choice, which one would it be? I'm DEFINITELY going to Pandora. Second choice is Avatar The Last Airbender.

Chishiya's POV

"Too."

Well, I guess I was wrong. I only told her those words because they were eating me alive. I had to get it off of my chest. It was only worth a shot for me to ask her if she loved me too.

Never in a million universes would I have thought the gesture would be reciprocated.

I'm too stunned to act or speak in response to the single word she said that affirmed the impossible. I stand, stiff and weak at the same time, while she rests her head on my pounding chest.

I need to say something.

My thoughts tell me to say something, but my mouth doesn't react to the conscious command I give myself. I am quite literally buffering from this.

Maybe I should tell her that I didn't mean that I love her, but that someone else loves me, and I was asking if she loves me, too.

Never mind.

Doing that would only complicate things. Looking at this in a consequentialist viewpoint, the best thing I can do for either of us is to own my actions and move forward with them.

Maybe I can-

What are you doing?

She already knows. She's not stupid. I've already opened that part of me to her and she's done the same. Trying to downplay what just happened would only cause us both pain.

I don't want to hurt her.

I never want to hurt her.

I will never let anything hurt her.

That's a promise that I realistically can't keep, but it's something I will do everything in my power to fulfill.

I'm so lost in my thoughts that I don't notice Karma looking up at me. I didn't even realize that she lifted her head from my chest. Her eyes are questioning, vulnerable, confused, afraid, and analytical all at the same time.

Her hair is still nappy from her rough couple of days and she's pale. Her lips are pale and so is her skin.

Why is she dehydrated?

I look at her lips in disappointment.

Kuina and Ryu are horrible caregivers.

She licks her lips after noticing my disappointed gaze. She's probably embarrassed.

It's natural, woman.

I then step back and turn around, willing my body to move only for her sake. I wouldn't have been able to move if her well-being weren't on the line. I grab a water bottle from our backpack that I found and turn Barack to her, holding it out for her.

"Drink."

She furrows her eyebrows with a virtually straight face, but takes the bottle anyways and drinks. She downs half of it, closes it, and hands it back to me.

Before I can question her, she speaks.

"The other half is for you."

How considerate.