Chapter 43 - Long Live the Queen

A/N: I know I said I'd upload last night, but I decided to put myself first and slept because I had another exam today. Lol wish me luck though I haven't gotten the grade yet. Exams week is a b-word.

Thank you all so much for your encouraging and kids words in the A/N. I feel so much better because it was eating me up. I would have responded to the comments, but I unpublished the A/N lol.

Also here's a 4k+ word chapter to thank you for your support and patience <3 it's nearly 5k, but I had to chop it because the chapter was nearing 7k words lolll. We got a bit carried away. On the bright side, the next chapter will be long, too >:)

If the title of this chapter stresses you out, it stresses me out, too. I'm also screaming- I just realized that they're the injured couple. The story is going to get stressful, but worry not and trust the process.

QOTD: (Self-confidence boost time) What are your three favorite things about yourself?

Karma's POV

"Look!" Usagi points in the direction of the fleeing crowd of people and Arisu rises out of our cover.

"Kuina! Ann! Ryu!"

Upon hearing their names, my head snaps up and I stand to see some much-needed faces. I sigh in relief and wave.

I knew they weren't dead.

Ryu poses before running over to us behind Kuina and Ann like there isn't a literal gunner behind them, and they join us behind the car we took cover by.

"Arisu!" Kuina doesn't see me quite yet since she's focused on hauling her ass over here, but once she gets behind the car with us, she engulfs me in a wordless hug. Some of my blood gets on her, and she apologizes, but then she notices Chishiya.

"Oh my god..." she gasps, lowering herself to examine his wounds.

"I'm fine... it was worth it," he grunts and responds, seeming to have built a tolerance for the pain.

Ryu's brows raise at the sight of his bloodied hoodie.

"I'm assuming it was for Karma, then?"

"It's been a while," Ann's authoritative voice interrupts the moment.

"Thank goodness you're alright!" Usagi says, practically panting. Everyone's breaths are heavy and it's horrible for hiding, but we can't help it.

"It's good to see you too," Kuina responds. Gunshots echo throughout the city and they grow louder, meaning he's getting closer.

She then looks to Chishiya, "You doing okay?"

He nods, clearing his throat and Ryu takes her shirt off, leaving her in a sports bra. She then tears the shirt and wraps it around Chishiya's torso and first gunshot wound. He jerks at her touch with a 'fuck off' look, but realizes what she's trying to do, so she allows him to finish tying it.

"Thanks," Chishiya says.

Wow. He thanked her. He's grown a lot. I smile at the interaction, because I'm truly glad he gets along with my friends. Especially Kuina.

"The King of Spades is trying to end things here," Ann adds. Kuina nods, looking ready for action.

"Let's defeat the King together."

Call me rude, but the collective look of determination amongst the seven of us makes me want to laugh. It reminds me of when groups of friends in movies have this whole awakening and 'believe' moment.