Chapter 5 - Cheeks

A/N: I just realized I could've literally been using "A/N" instead of "Author's Note" this entire time. Hooray. Anyways enjoy!

What's your Harry Potter house? Mine's Slytherin. Your turn.

Karma's POV

Excuse me?

"How?" I swallow and look confused. Being defensive would easily give me away, so confusion is the proper reaction. The corner of his lip twitches as if he's resisting a smirk.

"Don't play dumb. I saw you glance at the big mirror when you saw the blue lasers. Why didn't you say anything?"

"Why didn't you? I was afraid I'd be wrong," I lie, "I wasn't willing to put my life on the line to test it. I'm sorry."

He looks through the door at a devastated Ryu, "If anyone needs an apology it's her, not me. Some risk is necessary in these circumstances."

I'm not going to apologize.

These results were necessary. First games are supposed to filter out the weakest candidates, and they did.

The man then goes to the door and under the mirror, safely to the schoolyard. I follow behind him and stand, looking around.

We are surrounded by perfectly cut grass, uniformly placed trees, some benches, and a few pathways. There is a fountain in the center of the yard and the world is lit with a dark blue that indicates the sun is rising.

I take my dagger and place it next to Ryu, patting her to make her aware of its presence.

Consider that my apology.

The man is standing against the wall, hands in his pockets, and looking at the sky when his game phone dings. Ryu's phone dings in her pocket.

They just received their visas, and they are lucky to have an entire week. I pull out my phone and switch it to 'player view' then look to the man.

"Hey. What is this? What happens in seven days?"

"How would I know?" He narrows his eyes at the phone and his mouth parts in focus.

I furrow my eyebrows.

"I think it's safe to assume it would be game over." He looks to Heda's body.

"That means we'll have to play more games before our visa runs out. To get more days." I add, pacing back and forth in a false stress.

Ryu has stopped crying by now and clutches her new dagger, her breaths are shaky and heavy.

"Clever girl," he says to himself, hiding his face behind his bangs and looking to his phone. He thinks I didn't hear him.

I don't want him to think I'm clever.

I pretend not to hear him and ask, "Where would we even find more games?"

"We'll just have to wait and see."

I look at him and nod in response, breaking eye contact to 'think'. My thoughts get interrupted before they could start.

"I don't think I can keep doing this..." Ryu says, monotoned.

"I don't know if I can handle another game... Why did you save me? I should have died with them. We've been friends since 4th grade." She tears up again.