Chapter 9 - On Your Marks

A/N: Hey guys we got to 700+ reads in just over a week! Thank you so much <3

Anyways, I think we're gonna pick up the pace here in a bit. I just want their relationship to be built on something more than just random unexplained attraction. I also want a lot of development.

I honestly plan on this story being around 50 or more chapters because I have a lot in store for this, so I hope you stick around because I'll be here for a while.

This is gonna be a long chapter, so get your popcorn ;) I know I said I'd upload every other day, but I'm kind of liking daily uploads.

Also I'm positive there will be typos here so please excuse those. I'll edit this when I have the chance lol.

Karma's POV

"Players, line up at the start."

I look around to see my competition and Kuina follows Chishiya to the start line. He wraps his headphones around the box they're attached to and sets it on the bleachers.

The most threatening of them all are the couple that joined last and a man in a black morph suit. Interesting choice of outfit, but he holds a katana and stands perfectly still at the start line.

Unpredictable.

The couple's pda is horrendous and the female locks eyes with me, her eyes peeking between her red bangs, and she licks a machete she retrieved from the table.

Her partner is a man with buzzed hair and tattoos up to his neck. He holds no weapon, but his hands are balled in fists. He takes the woman by her neck and licks her cheek and she giggles.

I cringe, making sure she sees.

Disgusting.

Some people stretch, a few pray, and one foolish person crosses the start line thinking they could get a head start.

The blue laser grids turn red and a laser burns through their skull. They collapse forward, mid step.

I walk to the start line and avoid Kuina and Chishiya. We all stand separate, as we all understand that the best thing we could do is stay out of each other's ways.

The track is then lit by lights from the glass safe-zones.

I look around and see a holographic number three spinning above each of the six safe-zones. The glass of each zone is then lit up by a bright neon green.

Only three people can occupy each safe zone then.

"On your marks..." I hear from the large speaker in the center of the field. It's the voice of a playful little girl.

How unsettling. It almost gave me chills.

Kuina gets into running position and Chishiya positions himself in the lane closest to the field. I notice that once all the players are on the track, a faint red grid of lasers appears on either side of the track.

No one's getting out, and no one can cut.

"Get set..."

A scared teenage girl in a torn sundress faces the field.

Where's the common sense?

I would warn her, but she'd probably be just as dumb in another game anyways.

"GO!" I see a single firework get launched from the center of the field and it explodes in a rainbow of color. Classical music blasts with intense beats added to it.