Chapter 6 - This Wasn't the Plan

A/N: So I don't really have anything to say this time, but I felt the need to do so since I've been doing it every chapter anyways. How's life? Hope all is well for you guys.

Can anyone recommend a good chocolate? I'm addicted and my favorite chocolate is starting to taste boring cause I over ate it :/

Karma's POV

I twiddle a dagger between my fingers, sitting in the house that used to be my family's home. According to the way it looks, a new family now occupies it. The rustic green has been replaced with a modern white interior.

I told myself I wouldn't visit this place, but I think closure is the best medicine to move on in my case. I didn't cry this time, so I'm making good progress. The world has clearly moved on from my existence as well.

I just want to be okay.

I've been through enough, and I won't let anything falter my new mindset.

I'm fine. Really.

I carve lines into the coffee table with my dagger.

I'm conflicted between warning the people at headquarters and just looking out for myself. I know there are more places for citizens to reside, but headquarters is the main spot for us.

I doubt that the clever guy from last night will figure it out so soon, but I'm not sure if I want to risk my neck to warn them of his discovery.

They probably already know given they have eyes and ears on every corner of the city. I wouldn't be surprised if they've already evacuated to another base.

I think I'm going to skip the games tonight and make my way towards The Beach to prepare for my kidnapping. I already have a few cards in my possession because I plan on becoming an asset to them.

I'd rather position myself well rather than be seen as a bad actress. I learned that the hard way when I got called out.

This batch of players seems to operate differently, meaning I must adjust and adapt.

My cards include the nine of diamonds, six of clubs, seven of spades, three of spades, ace of spades, and the five of diamonds. I hate hearts games, so I've been avoiding them.

After the first week, it grew difficult to get to the cards first, especially since there were a growing amount of people collecting them.

I stand up from the couch that isn't mine, inserting my dagger into my ankle holster, and see that it's golden hour. After securing all my items, I step outside of the house to see a sun-kissed upperclass neighborhood with uncut grass and evidence of looting.

I guess this is goodbye, home.

Here is my home now.

I got lucky and found the keys to the new family's car earlier, so I make my way towards The Beach, which will now only take me around 20 minutes. The sunset is a beautiful red, orange, and purple blend.

On the way there, I don't see any players. I'm willing to bet that they think I'm a beach member scouting for new members.

Little do they know that I'm the one trying to get scouted.

I plan on using this car to draw attention to myself after a game night exactly one week from now. For now, I drive with no headlights on and travel the back routes in order to stay hidden in the dark of the night.