Chapter 13 - Table for Two

A/N: Okay so I'm kind of proud of this game idea. The chemistry in this game is going to be insane, but gruesome. It will be split into two chapters though.

Thank you guys for 2k reads, it's truly more than I hoped for <3 I remember when I first started this story and was kicking my feet celebrating 20 reads :')

Alright, now to what you're here for.

I'm also sorry for uploading so late today. I had homework and professors are ruthless sometimes.

Chishiya's POV

"Then why don't you?" She looks at me with eager, but confused eyes.

Maybe I should let you get infected then.

I can't ignore my way out of these questions due to her annoying persistence. The problem is, I really can't give her an answer.

It's illogical and irrational for me to worry about her well-being. For all I care, I could recruit anyone.

Realistically speaking, she's easily replaceable.

So why do I keep helping her?

"I don't know."

It's honest.

I hate it.

Karma's POV

That's it?

That's all he has to say?

I scoff, making sure he hears me, and swipe his hand away from my leg, causing him to fold the tape before he can place it.

He huffs, and sticks the tape on my arm.

"You get to unfold it now. I'm not wasting more tape on you."

I pick up the tape and try to peel it apart.

I might as well mess with him. I've always loved messing with people.

"Is it really a waste if you care about me?"

Gotcha.

I stare deeply at him, just to receive no reaction. In fact, I reacted more than he did.

I just made my own heart skip a beat.

"Bold of you to assume I would."

As stubborn as he his, I like it. He's like me.

He's a tough one, but for some reason that drives me to want to win him over even more.

I finally get the tape to unstick from itself, and stick it on his forehead.

He glares at me before taking it and securing my new bandage.

"Thanks, doc." I playfully nudge him on the shoulder.

He abruptly stands up and avoids eye contact with me, looking down.

"I'll meet you at the car tonight."

What a buzzkill.

"Stupid." He leaves the room.

Maybe he's right, though. Keeping his distance is the best he can do for himself.

I should do the same. I always talk of using him, but really he's useless to me. I realistically have no goal other than to maintain cover until Phase Two.

I need to face reality. I'm the Queen of Diamonds, a citizen, not one of them.

I head back to the pool in hopes to find Arisu, Tatta, and Usagi. The sun is already starting to set