49

Previously on Pure Happiness

"I don't want you to get hurt, Beth. But you have to know, if there's a way to put him down, we will. He's messed with all our lives, including yours."

~~~

"What are you doing here?" Asked Elena as Beth walked into the hospital room where Meredith was performing a CT scan on Alaric.

"I'm here for Alaric. Nothing else."

"Good morning, Beth," Dr. Fell greeted as she stepped forward.

"Hi, Meredith. It's been a while. My dad says hi," Beth stated. Meredith's family were family friends to the Midnights.

"Tell him I said hi back."

"So Ric's already to go."

"Yea, the tech is just sliding him in now," she said, nodding towards Ric on the other side of the glass, "I just have to look at the scans."

"What are you looking for?" Elena asked.

"I don't know. A tumor, vascular anomalies, anything physical that might explain his behavior. If it's medical, I can treat it."

"And if it's not?"

"Then we will figure something out for that too," Beth chimed in.

"Exactly."

"When did you suspect him? That it was Alaric who was killing all of those people?"

"It was after he told me about his ring. I remembered a story my grandmother had told me about Samantha Gilbert and her secret journal. I don't know if you know this, but we Fells are notorious busy bodies."

"But then, why did you protect him?" Elena questioned.

"She's a doctor, and he's sick."

"I don't like to see someone hurt by something they have no control over. And because when he and I first met, I felt like...I don't know, I- I just kind of want to help him."

"We understand," Beth stated.

"It looks like he may be getting a little nervous," Meredith stated, then talked into the mic, "Everything all right in there?"

"Yeah, yeah, everything's okay," Alaric said.

After the scan was complete, Meredith was certain there was nothing physically wrong with Ric. The girls were guided over to an exam room where Alaric would be.

"Ric!" Beth exclaimed before embracing the man. It was a much needed hug for both of them. "I'm sorry I haven't been here for you, but I wanted to be here now."

"Thank you," he smiled.

"Meredith says that everything is normal," said Elena.

"Yeah, well, everything is normal because there is nothing wrong with me. I didn't kill Brian Walters, I didn't kill Bill Forbes, and I sure as hell didn't shove a hunting knife into my stomach," he huffed until he looked down at his ring, and said, "Or I did and I've gone insane, just like your ancestor who wore that ring."