09

"So Klaus drew the Aztec sketches of the curse?" Beth asked.

"Roman scrolls, African tribal etchings, and any other culture or continent we felt like planting it in," Elijah added.

"But why?" Elena asked.

"Easiest way to discover the existence of a doppelganger or to get your hands on some long, lost moonstone is to have every single member of two warring species on the lookout."

"So it's not Aztec at all?" Elena asked still not getting it.

"The curse of the Sun and the Moon is... fake. It doesn't exist," Elijah clarified before walking away.

"What?!" Elena exclaimed in shock before the two girls followed behind the Original.

"Klaus and I faked the Sun and Moon Curse dating back over a thousand years," he added.

"But if there's no curse..." Elena trailed off.

"There's a curse. It's just not that one. The real one's much worse. It's a curse placed on Klaus."

"What are you talking about?" Elena asked.

"It's a curse that Klaus has been trying to break for the last thousand years. And you are his only hope," he said looking at Elena. Suddenly Elena's phone that Elijah had been holding started buzzing but they had all chosen to ignore it.

"So what's the curse?" Beth asked.

"Elena. You're phone won't stop it's incessant buzzing. Answer it, please," he said as he handed her the phone. So she did as she was told and was answered by Stefan. A worried look appeared on the doppelganger's face as she continued to listen to Stefan on the phone.

"No. No, no, no. Okay, I'll be right there," she said with panic in her voice before hanging up.

"Elena, what happened? What's wrong?" Beth asked.

"Klaus went after Jenna. I have to go to her," She said looking over at Elijah as she finished her second sentence.

"I'm afraid that wasn't part of today's arrangment."

"Elijah, please let her go. She'll come back. She more than anyone wants to hear this but Jenna's one of the two of the family members she has left. I'll stay just let her go see Jenna," Beth pleaded. She was also worried for Jenna because the woman had become like an aunt to her too.

"I'll be back," Elena added. "You have my word."

"That doesn't mean anything to me until you live up to it."

"Thank you," Elena said before walking off.

Beth and Elijah were now sitting on a bench that faced the Lockwood Mansion. "I use to know someone like you," Elijah said breaking the silence.

"Someone like me? What do you mean?"

"Someone with your abilities. But that's the only thing you would have had in common with her."

"What was she like?"

"Nothing like you. But to be fair, I've never met someone quite like you. You're one of a kind. The girl, Isabella.
She couldn't handle her abilities very well. It was driving her towards insanity. Which is why I was so interested and impressed when I found out about your power. It really is surprising that someone like you who senses death can be so happy."

She smiled, "We all have some type of darkness inside of us. No matter how small. My darkness is my power. No one can actually be just a pure angel."

"That's what I've always told myself you know. But every time that you smile and laugh it makes it really hard to believe that."

"Elijah. I sense death. And no matter how much times I laugh and I smile, that's not gonna change. But I'm not gonna let my ability stop me from being happy. Because that... is who I am," she said honestly.

"You're one of a kind," he mused.

"It's part of my charm," she shrugged with a smile. "We should wait for Elena inside," she suggested which Elijah nodded to before leading the strawberry blonde into the mansion.

Neither of them said anything else and just stood in a comfortable silence. Elijah stood staring at the fireplace as he thought about what Beth had said, No one can actually be just a pure angel. She was right. It's impossible for someone to have no darkness in them. But he knew that the only darkness that Beth had was her ability. If it wasn't for that she'd be the only exception. She would truly be an angel.

"Elena you're back," Beth said breaking Elijah out of his thoughts.

"Welcome back," he added as he looked towards the doppelganger.

"Tell me what is Klaus' curse?" Elena said with determination lacing her every word.

"Please," he said gesturing for the girls to sit so they did as they were told before Elijah did the same.

"My family was quite close, but Klaus and my father did not get on too well. When we became vampires, we discovered the truth. Klaus was not my father's son. My mother had been unfaithful many years before. This was her darkest secret. Klaus is from a different bloodline. Of course when my father discovered this, he hunted down and he killed my mother's lover and his entire family. Not realizing, of course, that he was igniting a war between the species that rages until this day," Elijah said.

"A war between the species?" Elena asked with confusion.

"The vampires," he started.

"And the werewolves," Beth breathed out in realization.

Author's Note

So I hope you guys enjoyed the new update. By the way I will be updating once every week if not twice. But most likely it will be once because I am very busy. So anyway please vote and comment. I would like for you guys to be more active with comments. Anyway thank you for reading ❤