58

Previously on Pure Happiness

"Of course I wasn't jealous. It was Elena. She hates you. But it doesn't matter. This isn't space, Klaus! Remember? That's what I had asked for," she huffed before pushing past him and entering her car.

~~~

Beth had been quick to drive away from the hybrid that night. She hurried home where she found her father. It had felt like months since the last time she had seen him.

"Dad!" She yelled as she ran to wrap her arms around him. He hugged her back, but her grip on him grew a little too tight.

"Ooh, let me breathe there, kiddo," he laughed. Beth took a step back, but her smile was unfaltering.

"Sorry, I didn't realize how tight I had you."

"It's okay. You've been working out?" He chuckled.

"A little," she mumbled, but she knew the strength hadn't come naturally. "Where have you been?"

"Well, I left a note, and I did try calling you and left several voicemails before I left. Now that I think about it, I left them on your old phone, though. The one you lost."

"Oh, that explains it. But were you really in France the entire time? You were gone for a while."

"The firm was trying to get me to bring a new client in. It took a little while. I was there a week, and then I had some business in California. I'm afraid I'm not gonna be here long. I have a meeting in Lousiana."

"I didn't know you had a client in Lousiana."

"I don't. Not officially. I'm just working on it. I hope I have time to stop by New Orleans. I haven't been by the cemetery in a while."

"Well, put some flowers for grandma from my part when you go," Beth said.

"Of course. Are you going up to bed?"

"Yeah. I have my interview with Carol's assistant tomorrow. I applied for an internship at the mayor's office. They'll probably give it to a college student, but I wanted to apply anyway."

"I'm sure you'll do great."

Beth smiled and made her way upstairs, where she showered and got ready for bed before drifting into a comfortable sleep.

~~~

The next morning, she was invited to Whitmore College with Bonnie, Elena, and Damon but declined. She had things to do in town and nothing to do there. Whitmore college had never piqued her interest despite knowing that's where all her friends would be going after high school. It was never her plan to stay in or close to Mystic Falls forever.

Rather than follow her friends, she spent the morning with her father before he went off to work. She did some interview prep and headed to her appointment.

"Good morning, Carol," she smiled as she entered the building

"Hi, Beth. This is Linda she'll be conducting your interview today."

"Hi, Linda. Nice meeting you. Here's my application," Beth stated as she handed over her packet.

"Thank you. Follow me," The blonde woman smiled before she led her into an office.