57

Previously on Pure Happiness

"I think we just need some time. I just need some time. I thought this, us, could finally happen. I really did... but it can't."

~~~

"Are Matt and Elena making a come back?" Beth joked as she found her friends coming from their old make-out spot.

"Ha ha, very funny, Beth," Matt scoffed as Elena chuckled.

"I'm only joking. How are you feeling?" She asked Elena.

"A little better now. I'm not starving anymore, so that's a plus."

"Well, we got to celebrate the little victories, too," the strawberry blonde nodded as they walked towards the school entrance.

"So, you really think school is the best place for you right now?" Matt asked.

"The vampire hunter knows that Damon's a vampire and that I know Damon. Hiding at home would be more suspicious. Besides, I want to be here. It's my senior year. I survived this long. There's no way I'm bailing before graduation," she said as she grabbed a paper stuck to a nearby car. "Town called for curfew?"

"Tyler got shot in front of half the town. Everyone's a little freaked."

"If only they knew the real story," the doe eyed girl sighed.

"Yeah, then we could just add 'vampires beware of hunter' on these," Beth said as she grabbed the pamphlet from her friend.

Matt separated from the two as he hurried off to his first class. The two girls were met by Stefan, who walked into history with them.

Beth noticed Elena's eyes wander throughout the room and could see how much pain being in the classroom was causing her.

"It's the first time we've been back in Alaric's classroom," Stefan trailed off.

"First period, and I'm ready to bawl my eyes out," Elena sighed.

"Maybe you should have stayed home. You could use some time off."

Before the brunette could respond, Rebekah walked in cheerfully, inviting students to her housewarming party.

"Morning, everyone."

"Just like that, I'm no longer feeling sentimental."

"So, I'm throwing a little anti-curfew party at my new house. Starts at fifth period and goes 'til whenever. Spread the word," Rebekah smiled as she handed out flyers before she turned to the doppelganger, "You're welcome to join, Elena, if you'd like to bury the hatchet."

"It's a pretty enormous hatchet," she said as she took a flyer from the original's hand.

"I'm feeling generous of spirit," the blonde said with a roll of her eyes.

"New house, huh? Did your brother finally kick you out?"

"He didn't kick me out. I left."

"So, you left the only person on earth that actually likes you?"

"I like you," Beth intervened in an attempt to deescalate the situation.