53

Previously on Pure Happiness

Beth looked down at her chest as she felt the warm blood oozing out. Before she could do or say anything, she fell onto the floor.

~~~

Klaus stood in a classroom with Bonnie Bennett and Damon Salvatore. There, he stood impatiently, waiting for Bonnie to track the location of his mother.

"You're still mad at me for what happened to Abby. Let me apologize. I'm sorry Elijah forced us to turn your mother into a vampire to save Elena's life. Didn't exactly have a choice," Damon huffed at the witch.

"There's always a choice. Whenever you make one, someone else suffers."

"Let's cut the dramatics and begin, shall we?" Klaus interrupted. The hybrid was doing his best to stay calm. Something wasn't right, and he needed to know what it was.

Bonnie chanted in Latin after she poured Jeremy's blood on a map in an attempt to locate Elena. The blood did not move despite the spell. Bonnie grimaced, "Esther's fighting me."

"Esther couldn't possibly have this much power. Unless she's channeling something," Klaus said in deep thought.

"Beth most likely. She did it last time."

"No, there has to be more to it! She has enough power to cloak herself, keep us all locked in here, control Beth, and who knows what else!" He yelled.

"A hotspot?" The witch chimed.

With that, it all clicked in the hybrid's head, and he stated, "Get the humans ready. I know where she is."

~~~

Elena had been staring at the bodies of her friend and her surrogate father for what felt like an hour. How could this happen?

Her eyes were swollen and red from tears as she pulled the stake out of Alaric's chest. She had checked their pulse more than once already, but there was no doubt they were dead.

"He'll wake soon. When he does, he may for a time be his old self. If so, you can say your goodbyes before his transition is complete," Esther stated, looking down at the young girl.

"And Beth?" She breathed out, "She was innocent. She didn't deserve this! You said you wanted to undo the evil that you created, but this... This is just as evil!"

"Alaric will never be what my children became. I have granted him enough power to complete his task. Then, when the time is right, he will die."

"How if he's immortal?"

"All you need to know is that when this is over, we will have rid the earth of vampires once and for all."

Alaric woke inside an unknown crypt. He looked to his chest and saw blood and turned to see more from the body next to his. There lay Beth Midnight lifeless. He hurried to her, checking if anything could be done, but it was far too late.

He had no opportunity to process the death of the young girl as he heard screaming from outside. He grabbed a weapon and ran outside.

"Matt! Matt, drop your gun!"

"I can't! I'm not controlling it!"