56

Previously on Pure Happiness

She stared at him with wide eyes filled with tears. She had seen and heard everything. There was an expression on her face that he had never seen before. An expression he didn't recognize. As he stepped forward, she stepped back.

~~~

Beth found herself wondering throughout the night how her feelings for Klaus Mikaelson came to be.

Before their past summer together, she only heard bad things about him. He had been built up to be a heartless, nefarious villain. The big bad Klaus that struck fear in the hearts of many. Once she met him, she had a different experience.

He was impulsive and rash but heartless? Never. From the moment she first looked into his eyes, she saw emotion. Maybe too much. She saw heartbreak and loneliness. The first time she heard his story from his brother, he began to understand him. And the first time he really spoke with her, she felt... safe.

Beth had managed to convince Stefan and Klaus to stop at a hotel so she could get a meal, a shower, and a proper night's sleep. It had been a week and a half, all spent on the road with only quick stops. She was thankful to be spending some time outside a car.

After her shower, Beth lay in bed in the pajamas the hybrid had procured for her when she heard a knock at her hotel room door. She hurried over to the door, assuming it was Stefan checking in. When she opened the door, she realized she was wrong.

"What are you doing here?" She questioned.

"Were you expecting someone else, Love? I just came to ensure the accommodations were up to your standards."

"Oh really?" She laughed.

"Of course."

"They're great. It's a lot better than I expected when I asked for a stop. Come in. I just figured it would be Stefan," she said, motioning him inside.

"Sorry to disappoint," the hybrid joked, "I'm afraid Stefan is still having dinner."

"Ah, that makes sense. I got the feeling," she said as she sat on the bed.

Klaus eyes flickered with guilt as he sat on bench placed at the end of the bed, "Speaking of which, I wanted to apologize."

Beth was taken aback, "What? Apologize? For what?"

"For the way I told you the news of your immortality."

"We don't have to talk about it. You're fine," she shook her head as she stood from her seat on the bed.

"No, I was insensitive. And I am sorry," he said as he stood and found himself in front of her. Beth looked into his eyes and saw no hint of anything other than sincerity.

"You really mean it, don't you?"

"I do. I wish you no harm, Beth."

"Thank you. I accept your apology wholeheartedly, but I don't want to talk about that just yet."

"Of course, and I don't intend to push it. However, if you ever do decide you want to, I'll be available."