▎ fifty- seven

Eunsol's POV

If there is a place, anywhere in Seoul, that would be ideal to confess or be confessed, I might suggest the Namsan Tower, Everland, or the Sky Rose Garden. That's only the tip of the iceberg...the rest are listed from the website that I searched for "Best Places to Confess". I recall sighing from the pressure and deciding to close my laptop.

If I'm being honest, I don't know how to and where to start this confession.

But if there's one thing that I'm sure of. Nothing can compare to the places, no matter how ordinary, if there were pleasant memories attached to them.

I had to do this one way or another. The only question was when. I could never move forward without letting go. I know that finding a good spot to confess was pointless.

After all, you go to those places to confess your love. Not to tell a person you no longer like them, don't you?

A golden glow spread across the sky as the sun was setting. I found myself mesmerized by the pool of gold scattered on the horizon. It definitely made me at ease with what I was about to do.

I had asked Doyoung to see me at the playground. It was five in the afternoon when I sent him my request. I could imagine the surprise on his face for bringing up such a nostalgic location all of a sudden. I didn't wait for his response before closing my phone and leaving it at home. Since I decided to walk all the way to the playground by myself. If it turned out that he couldn't make it, I wouldn't know.

I will be waiting until I can conclude he won't show up. I might leave the playground, feeling relieved. I will call it a day and say fate decided today is not the day to do this. But that's just my anxiety showing itself.

A part of me will be downhearted. I will feel miserable because I know that if I can't do it now, I might never will.

The walk had calmed my nerves a little. Yet the gnawing sensation of having to say all the things I hid through the years made me second guess my decision.

Would saying what I felt towards Doyoung indicate the end of our friendship? Am I really okay knowing that with every step I take, I get closer to destroying something so valuable and pure?

Then, I thought of Han Byul. She is such a genuine, kind-hearted soul. If anyone deserved Doyoung, it was her.

I couldn't look at them without hurt before. But I have moved on. The time to say I liked Doyoung has passed, and I shouldn't dwell on it.

If I have to do it anyway, I could no longer delay it.

Upon receiving my message, Doyoung knew instantly where it was. Hence, he found me without effort. I have been staring into space as I waited for him. It took him about 20 minutes to arrive. When I heard a car pull over followed by the familiar footsteps against the gravel, I looked up and saw him.

I gave him a small smile and invited him to sit next to me in the swing set.

Now here we are.

From my peripheral vision, I could sense Doyoung glancing at the playhouse, and back at me, not sure where to look. He kept fidgeting with his hands. Momentarily, he froze as though he was having an inner battle with himself.

The atmosphere isn't as awkward as I thought it would be. The air just seemed more electrified.

With a heavy sigh, he looked at me.