▎twenty-four

The smell of medicines instantly captured my senses once I entered the nearest pharmacy in the area. The white walls made me flinch while I remember going to hospitals almost every month because of passing out. The first few months of ballet were really hard that's why I often go to hospitals due to sprained ankles and injuries.

"How can I help you miss?" The woman behind the counter asked with a friendly smile.

I cleared my throat and replied "I'll have 3 bottles of ****** pills, please"

She looked at me as if she wanted to ask something.

"Yes?" I asked and she regained her posture.

"Is this for you friend?" she questioned, gazing at me like she was judging my appearance.

"It is." I blankly replied and she nodded her head.

The woman walked to a room brimmed with different boxes of vitamins and after a few minutes she came back with what I asked for.

"Take this two times a day and....."

"Thank you. I'll follow them properly" I interrupted her.

I snatched the plastic away from her grip after paying and I immediately walked away.

The woman sighed, looking at my figure. "Kids these days.....they only think of losing weight"

"She's already so thin though." She whispered, shaking her head.

~

Two diet pills isn't enough. I'm even sure that this won't do well in taking my extra fats away. Since when did I gain this much?

I sighed, grabbing the bottle again and swallowing five pills in one go. I drank a glass of water and went to my bed.

A sudden knock on my door disturbed me and I quickly hid the pills in my cabinet.

"Yes?"

One of the caretaker's voice chimed. "Ms. Eunsol?"

I proceeded to wearing my sweatshirt and I opened the door.

"I received a call this evening."

I noticed how she's gripping tightly on her apron and how nervous she was.

"what's wrong?" I closed my bedroom door and stepped out.

She gulped, walking behind me.

"Your mom...."

I turned around "my mom? What about her?"

There was a moment of silence and I can feel an unknown tension forming.

"what's wrong?" I snapped and she flinched.

She didn't answer my question and she wasn't even moving. I was growing impatient and I was about to snap again.

"She's in the hospital"

I exhaled sharply, sensing a familiar pain my in my chest.

"What?"

"the hospital called... They asked for your presence." She looked down the marble floor.

"H-how? Why? and since when?"

I know I shouldn't be taking all this worries on her.

"Just a few h-"

"Never mind. Please don't answer that. "

I paced back to my room and grabbed my purse as quickly as possible.

Even though my arms were shaking. I still reached for my phone and dialed the hospital number. I worriedly bit my nails while asking what room my mother is currently in.

I'm now in the highway with tears attempting to leave my eyes as I waited for a cab. Its freaking 12 in the evening! How do I find a cab at this hour?

I stared at my phone, a tempting idea crossing my mind so dialed another number.

The ringing continued until he spoke. "Eunsol, hi. I'm glad you called. We really need to talk. "

"Please take me to the hospital" I whispered, trying my best to stay serene.

"What? What's wrong? Are you hurt?"

"My mom. There was an accident"

~

"She's fine. Due too to much stress. She must have collapsed and end up falling on the stairs. There were minor fractures but she'll be good to go after a few weeks of rest. If the medicines work quickly then getting discharged will be sooner." The doctor said, scribbling something on his paper.

Doyoung squeezed my shoulder softly, flashing a reassuring smile.

"I'm glad you called. I'll always be here if you need me" He wrapped his arms around me for a hug and I was the one to pull away.

"Thank you so much Doyoung. But you can go now."

"I'm staying with you" He fished his phone out of his pocket and called someone. I'm guessing he's parents?

"They told me I can stay. There's no reason for me to leave"

I pursed my lips. Where am I suppose to sleep?

As if he was reading my mind. He answered. "The couch is large enough for you.....

You didn't pack anything for you and Mrs. Park so I'll go to your house and do it for you. I'll also get a foam where I can sleep" He leaned against the door frame and looked at me.

I'm literally squirming under his gaze.

"Do you need anything?" He raised his eyebrows and I shook my head.

"No"

"Then ice cream it is. You need to calm down. Mrs. Park is fine"

Ughh, he knows me too well. Can't I just have a little amount of dignity?

"No, I need to avoid eating too much" I replied, avoiding his gaze.

"I'm in charge until your mom gets better."

"that's unfair" I whined and he shook his head.

"you're such a crybaby. How will you even handle all these without me?" He smirked.

"Fine. You can stay....

But how about your g-girlfriend?"

Shoot, I stuttered. I hope he didn't notice.

"Oh its cool. I asked her already."

Of course he did. I envy Han Byul.

How many times should I push Doyoung away? Will that even satisfy me? Or will it make it even worse?

"let's just watch a movie. I can go to your house after" He changed his mind and sat beside me in the couch.

"I get to choose the movie!" I yelled, snatching the remote from his hands.

"hey, I got it first" Doyoung protested but I sticked my tongue at him.

"I choose the movie or you sleep in your house and I'll tell Han Byul you have stinky feet"

He scrunched his face in disgust "that's evil and I do not have stinky feet!"

"Fine, you don't. But still, I get to choose!"

"aish" He mumbled, sulking beside me.

"Okay. Horror movie it is!" I enthusiastically said, grinning like a child.

From the corner of my eyes, I could see Doyoung stare at me with a smile.

I know he has a girlfriend and I'm not trying to pull him away.

But his habitual kindness is making my heart flutter. And sometimes, it confuses me.

Thanks for reading🍁