Nine

Chases pov:
I was excited for Lia, I mean she gets to ride pro circuit Kawasaki on 250s and that's a huge deal. I wanted to surprise her and pick her up but I came at the wrong time I guess. She was all sweaty but she gave both Cameron and Austin hugs. And that was weird because Lia has told me how many times she receiving hugs and how she hates giving them too, but she was smiling and didn't seem to have a problem giving them one. Adam was also standing there but she didn't give him a hug. I saw them exchanged numbers and I saw Lia's face brighten up when the boys told her bye one last time.

I'll admit I was mad. I didn't like the fact Lia has known these two guys for barely a day and she's all smiles around them and suddenly she gives hugs.

I even asked her about it and that was a mistake because it was the same response, "omg we are just friends." And that never means the boy and girl and 'just friends'.

The ride home was silent and I just dropped Lia off since she didn't say another word to me. "Bye." I said and she grabbed her gear bag before slamming the truck door. "Shit." I mumbled and put my hand in my face and I just sat their in the Hodges driveway for a few minutes.

I saw the front door open and I was about to drive away when it was Bryce, Axell's friend, who came out. He opened the passenger door, "the fuck did you do." He asked and then repeated himself again.

I just told him how I questioned her and her response. "Fucking idiot. Chase that's how her ex and her broke up." Bryce said and acted like that was common sense. "Uhh sorry?" I said.

"Why you apologizing to me? But she didn't tell you the story." Bryce asked and i shook my head.

"Well. Lia was dating this guy Ryder for about 2 years. The first year into her relationship she was so happy and always had a smile and she was always laughing. But then the next few months, she noticed Ryder was always mad or he would drink constantly even though he was underage. Ryder would demand Lia to do stuff and if she didn't obey, she would get slapped or beat. And theres scars for proof. Anyways, her boyfriend acted like Lia was the problem and always thought she was the one cheating. Lia caught Ryder cheating on her one day with her best friend since birth. She has never been the same. She went into hiding and then all the family drama made it worse so she moved out and lived on her own." Bryce said.

I sat there and made sure those words made sense. "Wow shes lived through a shitshow." I said and Bryce nodded and began talking.

"Only Axell me and Adam know that story so don't tell anyone or her because she goes back into hiding afterwards. And it took almost a whole year for anybody to see Lia smile since the breakup. So don't tell her I told you this otherwise she might kill me, but now you know what not to bring up. And the reason why she's on the couch right now crying is because she thinks you hate her for having a boys number." Bryce said and I nodded, I had screwed up big time.

"Well thanks for that. Do I apologize now?" I asked and he nodded. We both got out of the truck and he walked in the door first, he said night to Lia but she didn't move or make any noise. She just laid there on the living room couch and acted lifeless.

It took me a moment to walk up to her but I finally did, I took a deep breath. "Lia." I said quietly. She moved her arm so she could see me, she saw me and her dark brown eyes were filled with brokenness. I had never seen any person look so sad in my life. "Lia I fucked up." I apologized. "I'm sorry." I added.

She went back to hiding in the blanket and I could hear sniffles and her silent cry's. I decided to sit on the couch because this was going to take awhile. I didn't sit too close but I was close enough to rub her back and try to calm her down. Her cries had stopped but she was still sniffling. Lia uncovered herself and her face was already swollen from crying and there were tear streaks all down her cheeks. Her jersey sleeves were soaking wet from tears and her dark brown eyes now had a bit of fear in them.

"Lia." I said quietly and she scooted closer to me and laid her head on my shoulder.
"Sorry you have to see me like this." Lia apologized and tried to clean herself up with the blanket, I just grabbed her hands and held them in mine.

"You're my girlfriend and I think you are pretty now matter how you look. And I was not a good boyfriend to get so angry about you with your friends, I overreacted and blew it." I apologized.

Lia sniffled and looked at me, her eyes didn't have fear in them anymore but there was still sadness or some broken pieces and that made me sad. "Lia?" I asked. "Yeah." She responded. "I am so sorry."
She didn't respond but I saw a slight smile on her face before she laid back down on the couch and rested her head on my lap as a pillow. I decided I was sleeping on the Hodges couch tonight because Lia would be woken up if I moved and so hopefully Axell doesn't kill me.