Fourteen

Lia's pov:
My eyes popped open and the sun wasn't out or shining in the room, it was only 6:50 but I couldn't go back to sleep. I turned around and saw Chase who was still sleeping and my thoughts were going crazy.

This is the man I have to leave in 4 days.

I got up and decided to get dressed so I wouldn't have to make Chase wait up for me later, I pulled my phone out and wondered if I should tell Axell about the flight changes right now.

Me: Axell you up?

Within minutes I got a phone call from my brother.

"Lia are you ok, you're scaring me." Axell said and I sort of laughed.
"No I'm fine. Chase isn't up and I'm bored. But how's Gabriella and the baby doing?" I asked while looking to see if Chase was still asleep on the bed, he was and so I walked into the other bedroom and continued to listen.

"Well Gabriella's great but the doctors really weren't lying when they said morning sickness is probably going to start soon. But I'm here helping her." Axell said and I just rolled my eyes laughing.

"What about you, you doin good?" He asked me.

"I'm fine, pretty nervous for tonight but I had a question. My flights a week from today and last night I was just thinking..." I paused. "Lia." Axell said in a concerned tone, "I changed it to Tuesday. In four days I'm leaving." I said and held my breath while waiting for a response from my brother.

"Lia what happened, why'd you change it?" Axell asked but I was too busy making eye contact with someone that woke up. He was about to say something and my lip started to quiver, "Lia?" Axell said from my phone that was now just laying on the bed as I quickly got up and went into the bathroom. I did not want to look at Chase right now and tell him the truth.

Chase's pov:
I knocked on the bathroom door after a few minutes, "Chase I don't want to talk." Lia voice was shaking.
"Pretty girl, did I do something? Why did you change the date?" I asked and sat against the door. I heard sniffling but no response.

I decided today was one of those days that Lia had warned me about, a day where she ignores everyone and can't focus on just one thing. So I let her be. She eventually came out of the bathroom and her eyes were swollen from crying but I didn't ask any questions because she wouldn't even make eye contact.

My phone said the time was 7:20 and I started to bring all my stuff to the truck outside, Lia didn't say anything except copy me. All our stuff was cleared out the hotel room and I checked out while Lia waited in the truck. I took a deep breath before putting my sunglasses on and resting my right hand on the gear shifter because Lia was sitting as far away as possible from me in the passenger seat.

I parked in the stadium and I didn't wait for Lia, Jett was standing out by the Honda trailer and so I gave him a fist bump while dropping my gear bag on the floor. "What's up with you?" Jett asked.
"Nothing." I responded and Hunter raised an eyebrow. "I'll tell you later, we need to get to the track." I said and grabbed my gear and running up the steps of the trailer to change.

Lia's pov:
I was all dressed to walk the track but I didn't feel ready. I felt empty inside. I know that was a dumb decision I did last night but hopefully it turns out right. Chase seemed pissed and I decided to be distant from him and hopefully that will make the break up easier.

"Ready Lia?" McAdoo asked and put an arm around my shoulder, I put on a fake laughed and nodded while we caught up to Adam and Austin. "Hey guys." I said to them and they both gave me hugs.

"I need to tell y'all something after the races tonight so don't leave." I said and they all looked at each other and then at me, "ok. Whatever." Was all their responses right before we got to the actual dirt. I was looking around to see the parts that will be difficult and I saw Chase over by the sandy section, he was standing alone and looking at the floor. I started walking and I couldn't stop.

I stood behind and to the side of Chase, "I'm sorry." I said. He snapped out of his thoughts and looked back to see me. "I don't get it, why'd you move the flight? Did I do something? Or someone else?" Chase asked and he looked concerned.

"I will miss you a shit ton and I thought the sooner I leave, the sooner my feelings will disappear for you." I said. "We could do long distance?" Chase asked while trying to make the situation better but then we both looked at each other and shook our heads. "That won't work out." He said. "No, it never does." I added.

We both just stood there as all the racers around us were scoping out the track for tonight, Chase and I were figuring out our relationship problems.

We made eye contact after thinking in silence and we both started to talk.
"I think we should-" "we should end this." My heart broke, we both said the same thing and agreed on the wrong thing. Chase just gave me one last look before he walked away. My shoulder slumped and my heart broke. I stood there looking down at my shiny boots, I saw a tear drop fall onto the toe part and many more tears followed.