Seventy-five

"Hey." He said in a different voice, "lemme put Nova to bed and then we can talk." I said and he nodded. I came back downstairs and sat down next to Chase.

"What is going on?" I asked him and he just shrugged and looked back at the tv, "something's up and it's not like you to ignore me for a full day, what's wrong?" I asked again and he didn't look away from the screen. I grabbed the remote and shut the tv off, "listen to me." I said and he stared at me.

"I'll tell you, my fiancée and I are supposed to be getting married next month but apparently she's pregnant again. So we have to go through this whole process again and the first kid doesn't even like her and she blames herself, so what happens if the second doesn't like her?" Chase said in a high-pitch tone. I sat there and looked him but he continued, "I was a shitty father the first time so what if I screw up again? And my racing career, I mean you basically quit your job since you had the first kid and now another one. Yeah when were you going to tell me you aren't racing again, but Jett deserves to know?" He said and I had watery eyes, "you aren't the only one with a shitty life Lia!" Chase yelled and I took a deep breath.

"You think my kid will hate me and you're a shitty father for always being there for me, well that makes you a shifty father if you leave me! And I was going to tell you about racing soon but I got into a fucking car accident for you, happy now? Does that make your shitty life any better? Would you like me to just walk out so you can have a better life without me?" I yelled and asked him.

Chase stared at me and said nothing, "Fine. I will pack my damn things and go away but I'm taking my daughter and I'll drop her off for 2 days for you to have her." I said and my voice was shaky, I stomped upstairs and grabbed a suitcase and shoved some clothes in there and then grabbed a duffle bag and went into the nursery and grabbed a few things for Nova.

I called Adam and told him something happened and I needed to get away from Chase's house, a few questions were asked but I ignored them and said I'd answer them later. Adam agreed and said he would be over in 5 minutes.

I held Nova and then I grabbed her car seat and made 2 trips downstairs to put all my stuff in the entryway. I saw Adam parking his car across the street and I was about to walk out the front door when I saw my engagement ring on my finger, "hold on Nova." I handed her to Adam and quickly put my stuff outside before saying one last thing to Chase.

He looked up from the floor and I could see his pale blue eyes all glossy, my heart broke even more than it already was, but we just weren't working out. "Here." I said and chucked the ring at him, "keep it until you are ready to talk to me!" I screamed and then tears streamed down my face and I saw Chase playing with the ring, I heard him curse as I walked out of the house and closed the door.

"I'm guessing it's bad?" Adam asked and I nodded while burying my face in my hands and crying the ride to his house. "Well you can stay here as long as you guys need." He said and opened the front door to his house, I thanked him and picked Nova up and walked around the corner to the guest bedroom. Adam brought all our stuff into the room and I quickly set up the travel crib for Nova and put her to sleep.

I went into the living room where Adam was and I sat next to him and cried, he put an arm around me and rubbed my shoulder while I cried pretty much the rest of the night. I woke up in the middle of the night to see Adam playing on his phone. "Hey, you feeling better?" He asked and I shrugged. "Tell me." He said and I nodded while starting from the hospital until last night.

"Well that is hell. I am so sorry Lia." Adam said and I laid against his side and let the rest of my tears roll out as he rubbed my shoulder and comforted me.