A Fragment of Time [Part III]

“Mama!” Petra reached up her arms and grinned. The simple gesture said enough about what she wanted from her mother. She wanted to be carried by her. It’s been a while since Petra was carried by her mother, it was always Papa or Grandpa who carried her, sometimes Mikasa too would carry her, only when the woman was around. Even when she wanted her mother to carry her it was the other adults who did it.

Mama removed the blanket that Papa placed on her lap and got up. Though Mama took her time with getting up, taking deep breaths, she still had a smile on her face. “Alright,” Mama bent down to get her. “Are you ready, Petra?”

Petra nodded eagerly, but just before Iris could take her, Armin came. “I’ll carry you, Petra.” Papa said. But Petra pouted and insisted it be her mother. She missed her mother’s warm embrace, and the times they would use the old ODM Gear to swing around in the forest not far from the shoreline of where they lived. 

It was a secret that she, Eren, and her mother kept from their father. The little trips they would go to and swing at the forest. Petra loved the feeling of flight, the falling and sudden swinging. Papa did say that her mother was the best person in their class in ODM Gear, and mastered the 3DM Gear too. Your Mama would always look like she is flying, Papa would tell them, and Mama loved the feeling of flying.

“I got her,” Iris told Armin. Papa was about to protest but Mama whispered something to him that had Papa step back, but was still close. “Okay, Petra,” Iris had her hands under the girl’s arms. “One, two, three!” In one swift movement, Petra was being carried by her mother, and the girl couldn’t be happier. “Now, what do you want to do, my sweet girl?”

“Can we go see Charette?” Petra asked.

“Sure, come on, it’s time to feed Charette now too.” Iris went to grab the basket that Armin was about to take to the small stables at the side of the house.

“Iris,” Armin began, but the look Iris gave him had him stop. “I’m sorry.”

Sighing, Iris walked up to him and placed a light kiss on his lips. “Please,” she whispered.

“Alright.” Armin nodded, reluctantly. “Just don’t strain yourself.

“I won’t, Petra and I will just feed Charette, I promise.” 

With that, Iris left with Petra in one arm and in the other hand was the basket of carrots to feed the horse. Armin watched from the front door as Iris walked towards the stables, she was slower in pace than usual, everything she did now was a bit slower now as the years went by. One moment she was traveling with out worry, still able to run, to jump, to climb; then they had Eren, then Petra, and was able to keep up with their children’s energy. Then reality struck and they lost count of time. She only had a month to count, and who knows when she’ll die. And as the time neared, her body started to deteriorate, she no longer had her Redd-Ackerman strength, she can no longer chop wood, ride horses all day, swing at the trees, farm, or even fish. 

“Papa,” the sudden call from a young boy made Armin jump. To his surprise, his eldest child was standing beside him. Only five years old, yet the boy seemed to know what was happening. “Should I help Mama with Petra and Charette?”

Smiling, Armin messed with his son’s hair and said, “that’s a good idea. Hey, do you think it would be nice to have lunch out here?”

“Mama would like that.” Eren said, then went to catch up with his mother and sister. He was happily greeted by Iris, who brought him to a short embrace and then lets him feed their horses with the carrots. 

Watching them from afar, Armin couldn’t help but smile, but it was not the usual big smile he would have whenever he would see his family all together.