Chapter Twenty-Five

A week after their mission to rescue Eren reports declaring the possibility that Wall Rose has been breached forced its citizen to take refuge in an underground city within Wall Sina. However, with more than half of the population surviving off food stockpiled for emergency, rations would last at most for a week. Any longer than that, and people would turn on each other, stealing and killing to survive. To stop this from happening, within one week from the initial outset, authorities declared that Wall Rose was secure.

With the mammoth population, the MPs asked for assistance with escorting the people of Wall Rose back to their homes, having Scouts and Garrison in the operation. To say that their time in helping the refugees in the Underground changed their thoughts about the world. Harsh reality shocked everyone of the cadets that saw the life in the Underground: poverty, hunger, unsanitary living, violence, and illegal ways of survival.

"I can't believe that this is how people here live..." Armin said.

"You're alive..."

Iris turned to the sound of a voice. Standing behind her, was a young man her age, all skin and bone, his face sunken, his clothes tattered. He was familiar to him, the messy brown hair, deep green eyes, his voice...

"All this time... I thought you were..."

Hold on...

"Jack?"

The young man, Jack, smiled. He made a mocking salute at Iris.
Iris was stunned. She never knew that she would see him again; he was her childhood friend, the boy who she would fight but always play and cause trouble with, her friend. She felt guilty for not recognizing him immediately, even more that since she came to the surface, she had not thought of him once. It was like she forgot about him.

"Look at you, got a bit fat... I see you grew a few inches, but still short... and you're walking!" Jack chuckled. "The last time I saw you... I had to carrying around because you  couldn't walk anymore... at least one of us turned out good."

"I can't say that it is..." Iris said.

"Better up there than here." Jack said. He suddenly coughed. Iris went to his side and helped him sit on the steps of her former home and lets him rest. She turned to her comrades.

"He needs water!" She called out.

Leon immediately came to her side and handed Iris the jug of water to her. Iris then helped Jack to drink, tilting the jug to his mouth.

"Thanks..." Jack muttered.

"You're sick."

"Nothing new." Jack shrugged.

"You need a doctor..." She turned to Leon, with begging eyes. "We can take him, right?"

"Iris..."

"He needs help... he needs all the help he can get... please." Iris took Leon's hand with hers. "He's my friend..."

"Iris, I'm sorry... I don't think we can..." Armin said.

"Don't worry about me, shorty." Jack chuckled. "I'll be fine... I lived this long."

"I'm sure we can figure something out..."

"YOU THERE!" An MP came to their group, his hand on his riffle. "YOUR ORDERS ARE TO KEEP THE CITIZENS OF WALL ROSE IN CHECK NOT SLACKING OFF"!

"Yes, Sir!" Armin said.

"He needs help!" Iris spoke up.

"Iris, don't." Jack warned her.