Chapter Twenty

"Knock, knock, we know you're in there." Levi said, taunting the Female Titan, who still has not showed any sign of giving up or even fighting. They have been trying to cut off the Female Titan's wrists to get to her nape, but with her hardening skin, their blades were ineffective, their last resort was to tie explosives at the Titan's wrists and blow it off.

Levi wanted this to get over with, he wanted to see who it was steering the Titan, and he wanted to look for his daughter and see if she survived. At the moment, the only thing he could do was wait and hope that she was alright. The last thing he heard from a Scout was Iris being injured after fleeing from the Female Titan, and he needed to see it for himself.

"Why don't you just make this easy and come out and stop wasting our time, seriously what do you hope to gain from stalling? If you think we'll let you go, don't. if you think on escaping, don't. All you should be thinking right now are the good men you killed today... like you would, that's not your style, you enjoy killing. Means, we have something in common, of course I enjoy killing Titans. But it's a start, I'm sure we can still find us some middle ground. Oh, that's right, while we're in that subject, let me ask you. You're alright with me cutting your limbs at the joints, right? I mean, they'll grow back, I'm talking about your actual body, don't want you dead just yet... timing wouldn't work..."

A loud shriek came from the Female Titan. All of the Scouts covered their ears with its deafening tone. After the shriek, they all stared at it in shock.

"Nicely done, I almost lost my composure." Levi said

"THEY'RE COMING!" Mike reported to Erwin.

"Where? How many?" Erwin asked.

"Everywhere, dozens and their coming fast!"

The sight of the approaching hoard of Titans made his stomach drop. If they were able to get to the center, did that mean the Scouts surrounding the forest were overwhelmed by them? Did they engage or did they flee? But whatever it was, he knew that she did something.

"THE TITANS HAVE BROKEN THROUGH, CAPTAIN LEVI!"

"Hey, what did you do?!" Levi stomped on the Female Titan's head. "You called out some friends, didn't you?!"

Levi knew that this was the Female Titan's doing, and he couldn't help but feel that it was his as well... if his thoughts were true, if the Scouts surrounding the Forest engaged in battle and these Titans got to the center – He could never forgive himself if he was the cause of his daughter's death.

"ALL HEADS, PREPARE FOR COMBAT! PROTECT THE FEMALE TITAN!" Erwin commanded.

~*~

The loud shriek had everyone on their knees and covering their ears. It was deafening. Iris, knelt on the branch and leaned on the trunk as she covered her ears, trying to die out the sound. After the shriek stopped, she got back to her feet and then turned to her comrades.

"What was that?" Jean asked.

"It must be the Female Titan." Iris said.

"You're right." Armin said.

Iris and the others were confused to why the Titans that came at them did not seem to be interested in them, earlier the Titans were trying to learn how to climb the trees just to reach for them, but now, the Titans suddenly lost interest and were running towards the Center.

"The hell was that?!" Iris said. "They just –"

"They forgot about us all of a sudden." Jean said.

"And was heading for the Central Ranks." Iris added. "What happened in there?"

A flare was fired.