CHRISTMAS SPECIAL [PART ONE]

A LATE CHRISTMAS SPECIAL FOR WINGS!

This is a thank you from Iris and I for reading WINGS and supporting it! Hope you read more of my works!

A modern AU of my Attack on Titan / Shingeki no Kyojin Fanfic entitled WINGS. This is a LEVIxReedFamily Fanfic. A "what if" chance in a modern setting!

Enjoy!

______________________

A CHANCE

Part One

December 19th

Levi received the papers at one autumn morning, and since then he still could not believe what he was reading. He never knew that it would turn to such circumstances, he thought he could still save it, he thought he could still make things better, but it seems Maria have given up and was brave enough to make the move.

He remembered when the papers came. It was sudden. He wasn't the one who received them since he was at work when the lawyer came and left it to his old friend, Farlan, who he was staying at for the past few weeks since his and Maria's last fight. He came home late that night and found Farlan and Isabel talking in hushed tones in the kitchen, both with distraught looks on their faces, when he asked why they were being secretive, the two only asked him to sit down for the new they were to give him.

"What the hell is going on?" Levi asked, confused and agitated with how the two acted oddly.

Isabel have taken a seat across from him, she took his hand with hers and squeezed it comfortably. A gesture that she only does when news about his daughter would come to him. He was about to question her behavior but Farlan came back to the room with a folder in hand.

"Levi... this came earlier... it was Rico Brzensca who sent it." Farlan spoke.

The name Rico Brzensca had Levi frozen on his seat. He met Rico Brzensca numerous times because of the law firm that Maria worked at, Reed-Reiss-Zachary LLP. She was a divorce attorney.
He never really saw Rico Brzensca as a threatening figure, but now with the papers before him, Levi felt fear towards the woman.

"I'm so sorry, Levi..." Farlan spoke.

It has been three months since he received the papers, in those three months he has spoken to Maria, he tried reasoning with her but nothing he did stopped the meetings at their law firm, nothing stopped Maria when she took off her wedding band that he have given her when she got pregnant with Iris, nothing stopped when he watched his daughter look at him with tearful eyes when he took his belongings from their home. Now living in an apartment in Trost District, Rose, Levi read the divorce papers again and again, already memorizing the lines the agreements, and slightly crumpling the edges from turning the pages over and over. And then there was the blank line where he needed to sign which he still has not.

The sudden ringing of his phone pulled Levi from his reverie. The caller ID made him flinch. It was Maria. With hesitant hands he took the phone and dragged the green icon to answer the call.

"Maria?" He spoke. His tone colder than intended.

"Levi." Maria spoke at the other line. "I'm sorry for the short notice, I know you're busy, I usually call Nanaba for this kind of things but she's – "

"Maria, what's wrong?" Levi asked, he got up from his seat, he went to get his coat from the hanger and then his keys, "Is it Iris? Do I need to pick her up? Is she alright –"