So Ist Es Immer

As requested, here is the extended ending of Wings where Armin reunites with Iris in the afterlife, and finally have their happy ending. Hope you enjoy!

~*~

Armin was always the last person to reach the tree

Armin was always the last person to reach the tree. It would always be Eren who would reach the top first, then Mikasa who would purposely let Eren win, then he would come in last. He never minded being the last one to reach the top, Armin knew that he wasn't as physically strong as his friends, he was no fighter like Eren, and not skilled in a fight like Mikasa. Even when they were cadets it was the same, he wasn't even part of the Top 10 candidates.  But it didn't matter to him if he would be the last one to reach the top because he knew his friends would be there waiting for him, they would give him a hand when they knew he was too proud to ask.

There was a saying in the military, especially if you're a Scout, whoever dies of old age is the one who actually won life. Doesn't matter how, as long as it was a peaceful death. Mikasa lived a long life, she never married and accepted the role of being a mother-figure to his children, Eren and Petra. Though they rarely saw their Aunt Mikasa as she was mostly based in the interior, whenever she can, Mikasa would spend her time with her godchildren and play with them. Mikasa was the one who helped Armin raising Eren and Petra, alongside Levi. He never asked her if she regretted not having children of her own as the woman showed joy and appreciation with his own children. There were times, when Eren and Petra were young, he would find the three of them sleeping in Eren's room: Mikasa in the middle, still holding a book while the two children slumped beside her. 

When Mikasa retired from being a soldier, she took residency in Shinganshina near the tree they would always play at. Eren and Petra made it a routine to always visit her when they can, and Armin decided to take residency with his friend at Shinganshina when he too decided to retire being the Commander of the Scouts. Living with Mikasa was peaceful, she was very much capable in doing chores even at an old age, and she's proven that she can still hunt and have a good shot. 

In one of their dinners at home, Mikasa asked him if he found their arrangement strange.

His reply, “to be honest, it's relieving. It gets Petra and Eren off my back to get me into seeing single women our age.”

“Don't you ever wanted to find love again?” Mikasa asked him, sincerely.

“I did try but I can't seem to let go of Iris,” Armin caressed the wedding band on his finger. “I know I should – even Levi told me to move on, but I guess we're the same when it comes to love.”

Mikasa didn't ask any further and simply enjoyed their meal and the next topic that came to mind. 

Their dinners were always a mix of people visiting or them visiting their friends. Jean and Connie would bring their families over to see how they are, Leon and Sofia too were constant visitors of their home even when they lived in Regalado in the Kirsch farm they inherited from Joseph and Sarah. Then Eren and Petra would come with their own families.