Chapter Fifty-Nine

News spread of the victory that the Scouts in the Battle of Libero did not bring any joy to the people of Paradis Island. People celebrated about the news, but when they found out about the current holding place of their Titan, Eren Jaeger, who was placed under arrest for reason they could not understand. The people of the island demanded that the military release Eren, the Hero, since he did nothing wrong, and the growing tension was now being faced by the military.

"So, it was reported as a victory?" Zeke mused as he looked out of the window of the carriage. "Isn't it dreadful? To not know anything?"

"I'm going to kill you and send back your dead body to Marley. Your conspiracy will become clear." Levi stated as he glared at the man sitting across from him. "You grandmother and grandfather are dead, right? And so... if your so-called secret plan is indeed genuine, then I'll wait just a bit longer before I mince you... I don't mind one way or another."

"I'm grateful for your lenient words. But you'll make me meet up with Eren soon?"

There was no response.

"Won't you stop glaring at me?"

~*~

"I heard that it was a victory." Said a 105th Cadet.

Firo, who was just finished with his arms training exam, heard the conversation and decided to join in.

"The Scouts have returned?" He asked.

"Yeah." Said a cadet. "We lost seven people."

"Who are those seven?" Firo asked, with a slight panic.

"Dunno, they never told us – six bodies were left at the battlefield, but they were able to bring home one."

Six were left?! She couldn't be – no, impossible... Captain Levi wouldn't let that happen... and besides, she wouldn't let that happen...

"Do you have any idea who it was that died?" Firo asked.

"What is it with you, we just told you, we don't know!"

"Don't tell me you're still hoping for Reed, Firo." Said another Cadet. "Let it go... you haven't heard from her for about a year."

"She was busy!" Firo argued. "She was at war – you don't really expect her to write when they're not even at the island, right?!"

The cadets scoffed.

"Stop with your delusions and accept the fact that she's forgotten about you..."

"Iris would never!" Firo argued.

"Whatever..." the Cadets started to leave, but stopped and turned back to him. "Oh, and by the way, the next time you meet with your girlfriend, ask her why the fuck did the Scouts imprisoned Eren Jaeger... what's gotten in their heads? Jaeger just brought victory to the Eldians and they treat him like trash!"

Firo stood there in shock at the news. Why would the Scouts imprison Eren Jaeger?

~*~

Sitting in her office, Sofia watched as the people celebrated for the first victory made by the Eldian Empire. It wasn't only in the streets that the people were celebrating, the doctors, nurses and patients in their clinic who heard the news were also in joy upon hearing the news. But she couldn't find it in her to share the same joyous emotion as her mind could only think of was the letter she got from Leon that gave her specific instructions.

Leave Trost. Get to my parents' house and stay there. Don't take the train.

Closing her eyes, Sofia could remember what Leon have told her the night, he left months ago.