Chapter Twenth-Seven

Years ago

"Papa, do you love Mama?"

Levi was taken aback by the question that his daughter asked. He didn't know what to say, things were still complicated between him and Maria. He turned to Maria to see her reaction to their daughter's question, and saw that she too was surprised.

Levi sighed. He took Iris from the ground, surprising the girl since he rarely carries her in his arms. Iris grinned and was about to wrap her arms around her father's neck, but she was then handed to someone else, confusing her, when she turned to the person currently carrying her, she slightly frowned to see that it was her mother, knowing that it meant that they were leaving.

"But Mama, I want Papa." Iris pouted.

"Levi..." Maria begged. "Please."

"I'll walk you home." Levi said.

Iris grinned at what her father said, and immediately she started to wiggle out of her mother's arms and try to get into her father's, pulling on his shirt.

"Hey, stop that." Levi told her.

Iris was shaken by her father's harsh tone, she hid her face at the crook of her mother's neck, afraid to look at him. Maria felt her daughter slightly shaking, she turned to Levi with narrowed eyes.

"She just wants you to carry her, Levi." Maria said. "Is that too much to ask?"

Iris fisted her mother's clothes, afraid to be taken from her. Sighing, Levi reached for his daughter, Maria pried Iris' hands off of her shirt and whispered sweet things to her so she wouldn't be scared of her father. Once she was finally off of Maria, Levi placed her in his arms. The whole time they walked neither Levi nor Maria spoke, and Iris just hung her head on Levi's shoulder, afraid to look at him in the eye.

~*~

Levi rubbed his eyes, sighing. Of all times, he thought, why the hell do I have to remember that now? He looked out the window where Iris and Leon were chopping wood, and he noticed that she too was a little off. Reaching inside his shirt, he pulled out the necklace that Maria gave firm to give to Iris. He could give this now and fix things with her -

No, not yet...

He sighed once more and sat down on the chair in his room. He turned to the table and looked into the letter that Petra made for Iris, the sight of the blood-stained paper made him ball his hands to a fist, as he remembered the sight of his dead squad - the sight of Petra crushed to a tree, brutally killed by the Female Titan.

Even in death, you still try to make things right... I'm thankful, Petra.

He needed to give this to Iris, it wouldn't be fair to Petra if the girl still holds some hatred towards her because of a misunderstanding.

~*~

Iris shook her head to rid herself of the memory. She tried her hardest to forget about it, but she couldn't. A sudden snap at her face had her jump and drop the axe she was holding.

"Whoah, easy there, short-stuff." Leon said.

"Don't do that." Iris punched him at the shoulder.

"You were out of it, you okay?"

"Yeah..."

Iris grabbed her axe again and started to chop wood. Leon watched as she continued with her job, she was different, and it evident that something was bothering her. He wanted to tell her, but he knew that if he did, then things would turn south.