Chapter Fifty-Five

The construction of the harbor took almost two years to finish, in those two years, the Eldians from Marley brought new things to show to the people of Paradis Island: wireless communication, modernized machines, and weapons. It was huge leap in the industrial advancement of the island, but to see this, it frightened some of them to know that they were way behind the world, and that they need to keep up fast if they plan on fighting for their freedom.

Loud gun fires were heard in the shooting range. Sitting in an odd angle, Iris had the rifle pointed at her aim, and once she was clear, she fired, and just as she expected, her bullet shot the a few inches away from the center mark.

"Good shot." Leon joined her at her spot.

"Better than yours, I bet." Iris muttered.

"Hey, that was a compliment."

"I don't recall out relationship to give each other compliments, you know. From what I remember, it's always name calling and teasing." Iris smirked, teasing.

"Yeah, well." Leon chuckled. He took out his rifle and pointed it at the aim, once calculated the wind, he then fired the rifle, and the bullet marked a few centimeters close to Iris' shot towards the center mark. "You might be gifted in swords, knives, and Titans, but I'm a better marksman."

Iris chuckled.

"The harbor's almost finished. Seems like they progressed quickly since we borrowed the power of the Marleyan engineers." Iris began. "Well, at first they were suspicious of one another so it wasn't going smoothly at all, but as time went on, they addressed and faced one another without titles..."

"And from what I heard we're going to start with this railroad for trains, right?"

"Yeah, just as we finish this harbor."

Iris suddenly frowned as realization came. Yelena's plan was to threaten the world of the 'Earthen Rumbling' to protect the Eldian people, and she couldn't help but remember her grandfather's words, it was the duty of the Reed family to continue on the duty of the failed King Reiss, and as far as she could see, the past Kings have failed the Eldians in the Walls. Her grandfather wanted to use the Founding Titan to awaken the Colossal Titans in the Walls to rage war against the world, how was this any different? How sure were they that Yelena's plan was only to make a threat and not use the Titians – the Reeds – inside the Walls to start a war?

Eldians and Titans never should have been born... she remembered the King's words. The Eldians' are always in a constant state of war, they never seem to find peace, and Iris wasn't just thinking about their reason of fighting, but also the first Titan War, where families of the Nine Titans fought for power.

Power... Iris thought. That's the only thing that humans want, not only Eldians, but everyone... they want power over something – someone. And this way of protecting the Eldians... we're not any different from the Eldians at the past...

"You okay?"

Iris was pulled from her reverie and saw Leon staring at her with a worried look.

"Yeah, just thinking." Iris said.

"Must be serious since you're making that face."

"What face?"

"This face."

Leon exaggerated a pout, and furrowed his eyebrows. Annoyed by his antics, Iris grabbed him by his face and pushed him off his posture.

"You're an ass." Leon said as he got up.

"You're an asshole."

"But seriously, what's got in your head?"

"Yelena wants to use the Rumbling to protect the Eldians... her plan reminds me of what my grandfather's own plan... he made my mother to a Founding Titan so she could use the awaken the Titans in the Walls and use them to rage war against the world, the problem was, the First King's ideology is stopping her – the vow to renounce all wars – so he wanted to see if I could do it instead."