Chapter Fifteen

After the successful operation to seal off Trost, the Garrison Regiment and the Survey Corps spent day dispatching the remaining Titans inside of Trost. They fired cannons endlessly; those who Titans near the Wall were killed instantly by the shells, and once the smoke has cleared, the Survey Corps took care with killing the remaining Titans, manually. Once the whole operation was done, a new operation had all the Cadets back in the former battlefield, to count, carry, and burn the dead.

"What the hell is that?"

Iris stood wide-eyes as she stared at the thing before her. It was the most disgusting thing she ever saw in her life.

"That's Titan vomit, they don't have a way to defecate what they eat, so when they're full, they just vomit it out..." the Garrison officer said.

"That's just sick!" Iris said in a whisper as she stared at the face of a person trapped in the ball of flesh, blood and Titan saliva.

Leon looked down at Iris and saw her reaction, it was the first time that he saw her this frightened. After clearing up Trost, and burning of the dead, the Cadets were given a chance to finally rest. But everyone didn't seem to find the peace of mind as they gathered at the Mess for their meal... they couldn't find themselves to take a bite after what they saw for the past few days. Hiding at one of the alleys, outside HQ, Iris bent down and supported herself at the wall as she hurled out everything in her system. Images of the dead and the Titan vomit didn't help with stopping it, it just made it worse.

"Hey, you okay?"

Turning, Iris saw Leon walking towards her.

"Don't come any closer..." Iris muttered. "I'm fine..."

"Yeah, vomiting whatever left inside you is fine, Iris." Leon sarcastically said.

"I SAID I'M FINE!"

Leon pulled back her hair and patted her back. "It's going to be alright..."

"I can't stop thinking about it..." Iris said, "All I could see is their bodies and that fucking Titan -" She couldn't keep herself from vomiting when an image flashed in her mind.

Leon watched as his friend hurled out what little was left in her system, when he saw that nothing was coming of her, he pulled her back and helped her to sit down at one of the crates while he got out a handkerchief to wipe the vomit off her face.

"I'm not wiping that..." Leon said, smirking.

Iris grabbed the handkerchief and wiped her mouth.

"Thanks." She muttered.

"No problem..." Leon said.

She turned to Leon and saw the blank expression at his face.

"I never imagine things would turn like this..." Leon said.

"Me neither..." Iris said.

"I can't believe that half of us are already dead before we could graduate..."

"I can't believe Marco's dead." Leon turned to her, surprised by her words. "I always thought he's be one of those lucky bastards who would survive..."

"Iris, Leon?"

They turned to the sound of a familiar voice, and to their greatest shock, they found the last person they thought of seeing in such place. It has been three years since they last saw her, and they were surprised that so little has changed, but for her brown hair that has grown until her the center of her back, and some of her features that had matured.