Chapter Sixteen

"SECTION COMMANDER HANGE, COME QUICKLY! THE TEST SUBJECTS, THEY'RE DEAD!"

The death of the Titan specimens, Sony and Bean, had everyone made a suspect. The Cadets were gathered, lined up with their ODM Gear presented for inspection. One by one, they were questioned about when they last used their ODM and when they have last had it maintenance checked.

"Name?"

"Iris Reed."

"When did you last use your Gear?"

"The battle at Trost."

"Last had it maintenance checked?"

"After the battle."

"Thank you, Cadet, that will be all."

After Iris, the Officer went to the next Cadet, which was Annie. Annie answered all the questions that the Officer asked. It took them almost the whole day to finish the inspection, and to their great unfortune, they didn't find the person who killed the Titan specimens. Once dismissed, Iris went to leave the area and return her gear, but just as she left the vicinity, she came across the last person she expected to see. She tried to avoid him by turning her back to him to leave, but was stopped when he called her.

"Is that any way to show respect to your superiors?"

Iris balled her hands to a fist, she clenched her jaw to stop her from saying anything, she just wished that no one would see them. She then turned to face him.

"My apologies Captain..." She said.

Levi sighed, he walked up to his daughter and took in everything about her. He even checked if she got any scars from the battle, and to his relief, the only thing she got was scratches.

"You got your equipment checked?"

"Yes, Sir."

Still sticking to that, huh... Levi thought.

"I wouldn't worry too much about this, it's the MP's job to deal with it..." Levi said.

"Would that be all, Sir?"

Levi frowned.

"Keep your head down, it's best to blend in the crowd..."

Iris was confused. Where did that come from?

"That'll be all..." Levi said and left. "Get back to work, Cadet."

"Yes, Sir."

I'm glad you're alive. He thought.

~*~

Iris and Leon saw Sofia once more before she had to leave to accompany her mentor to a patient to Wall Sina. They were surprised when Sofia came to the doors of the Military Base, wearing her coat and a bag in hand.

"So, I guess we won't be seeing each other for a while, huh." Leon said.

"I guess." Sofia said. "Just don't let it be for another three years." She joked.

Iris chuckled.

"We'll make sure to write." Iris said as she hugged her friend.

After Iris and Sofia's hug, Sofia turned to Leon. Leon sighed and wrapped his arms around her, he buried his face on her hair, while Sofia held on to Leon's jacket. Iris smiled at the sight of them, it was evident that they shared a connection. After their hug, Sofia and Leon shared a look that made them both blush.

"The next time we see each other... we'll be seeing the sea." Leon said.

"I'll be waiting." Sofia said, smiling.