Chapter Twenty-Four

"It might be a long shot, but there's a giant forest here. Though, it's not like they have a way to hide the Armored Titan's footsteps, but... I think that's where they're headed... it's a gamble, but even if they have the strength to change into Titans, the other Titans outside the Wall might still be a threat." Hange explained. After the joined unit of the Scouts and the MPs came, Hange immediately called for a map and explained to Erwin and the others about the possibility of Eren's location. Gathering around her were Erwin and other high-ranking Scouts and MPs, Hannes, the 104th Cadets, and to her surprise, Captain Reed. "Especially after all that fighting. They might not be as bad off as Eren, but I'm sure they're exhausted. Like Annie was out cold. Let's assume for now that their destination Is somewhere outside of Wall Maria, considering the distance they have to cover, we can assume they'll need to recover their stamina. Which means they'll want to rest somewhere where Titans are unable to reach them. At least until nightfall when Titans can't move."

"We'll set our course to the forest..." Erwin said. He turned to the auburn-haired MP Captain. "Captain Reed. I expect that you and your unit will be joining us."

"We are at your disposal, Commander Erwin..." Captain Reed sighed. "Enjoy it while you can, because this will be the last time the MPs will be following you Scouts."

"Of course."

As the two men discussed, Iris found herself staring at Captain Reed. The man bore the same name as her and her mother, and he also shared some traits of her mother as well; red hair, blue eyes... and for some reason, she could see some kind of resemblance...

Who the hell is he?

~*~

Levi sat in one of the rooms given to the Scout's use for the moment. As he waited, he couldn't help but think about Julius Reed. Before he even found out about Maria's relations with the Reed family in the Surface, he only saw Julius Reed as an arrogant man, who looked down at the Scouts and the Garrison Regiment, but he had to admit, the man was loyal to his Regiment and his men, and Levi understood now why that was.

A knock on the door caught Levi's attention. After calling in whoever was at the door, a man – a Scout – entered the room.

"Captain Levi!" The Scout saluted. "I'm Peter Shaw under Section Commander Hange's squad, and I'm here to report to you about the main unit's current state."

"What is it?" Levi asked.

"Under Commander Erwin's command, the main Unit of the Scouts and some of the Military Police and Garrison Regiment are in pursuit of the Armored Titan and Colossal Titan..."

~*~

The thundering sound of a human transforming to a Titan caught everyone's attention from the Titans that were blocking their path to the forest.

"Light?" Mikasa said.

"Titan just transformed..." Iris muttered. "I bet it's that fucking bastard –"

"I doubt it." Leon spoke. "The Armored Titan can tower over those trees..."

"STRAIGHT AHEAD IN THE FOREST! I SAW A LIGHT!" Armin yelled. "IT'S THE LIGHT THAT APPEARS WHEN A TITAN TRANSFORMS!"

"We're just in time..." Erwin muttered. "SOLDIER'S DISPERSE! WE BELIEVE THAT THE ENEMY HAS TRANSFORMED. LOCATE EREN AND RECOVER HIM!"

Iris and Leon grouped with Connie and the others, dodging any Titan that was trying to reach after them. A Titan's hand came towards their direction; Iris readied her ODM Gear to jump, but just as she were to move, an MP's horse pushed her away, and the Police was taken by the Titan.