Chapter Twenty-One

Levi sat quietly at the table with Erwin sitting beside him. After the meeting about the Female Titan's identity and their plan, they stayed to talk other important matters. Levi couldn't help but remember the last time he spoke to his daughter, just as he thought things didn't go so well. They separated in bad terms once again. But, within his thoughts, he remembered the letter, the letter that Petra wrote for Iris. He still had it for safe keeping.

"You're in deep thought." Erwin spoke.

"It's not like you're talking." Levi said. "So, what's the deal about this meeting?"

Erwin sighed.

"It would be best if Iris sits this one out... her at Sina would only increase the chances of the Reed family on taking her. With all the commotion going on, I doubt we would be able to protect her."

"Is that all?" Levi said.

"Mike will be the one looking over the cadets that will be left on standby, of course, she will be his top priority." Erwin said.

Levi nodded. He knew about Mike and Iris' closeness, as much as he hated it, it was more like a father-daughter relationship. He even made us his mind and consulted with the man that if he were to die, he entrusts his daughter to him.

"Anything else?"

"Have you head of the name Julius Reed?"

~*~

South of Wall Sina | A Week After the Expedition

Iris didn't know why but for some unknown reason she and the other recruits were simply asked to be on standby at a base at the South of Wall Sina. She sat across Leon – whose shoulder was healed but still had a wrapping to support his injured shoulder, and beside them were Reiner and Berthold playing chess.

"My hometown is close by." Connie said.

"Mine too." Sasha said.

"Damn, why can't I go visit?" Connie asked.

Leon chuckled and then turned to Iris, who watched the game unfold beside them.

"They have a point... I've been itching to get on one of those horses and head home, you know." Leon said. "I kinda miss Mom and Dad's cooking."

"I don't understand, why are we on standby here?" Iris said.

"There you go again." Leon sighed. "Questioning orders."

"Unlike you, I'm not really one for blind faith." Iris said. "Only an idiot follows blindly."

"Yes, but there are times when you just have to, especially in times like these."

"Maybe I could shed a little light in your minds." Reiner said.

"Huh?" Iris and Connie said.

"We're all on standby, we're not allowed to train or wear our uniform, while the officers are fully armed... we're inside the Wall, not on the front line. Who are we fighting?" Reiner said.

"There are bears in the area." Connie said.

"Gun are enough to handle bears..."

"Are you suggesting that –" Leon began.

Sasha gasped and stood up.

"I HEAR FOOTSTEPS! HEAVY FOOTSTEPS!" Sasha said.

Iris and Leon turned to each other and then back to Sasha.

"Get serious, Sasha. If you're suggesting that there are Titans here, then that means Wall Rose has fallen..."

"It's the truth! I really hear footsteps!" Sasha said.