Chapter Ten

One Year Ago

"We can't let anyone know about this." Iris said.

"You can't be serious! This could be a death threat, Iris!" Leon argued.

Iris took the letter from the table and threw it in the fire. Leon watched in horror as the paper burned, and the seal melt. He turned to Iris, appalled to what she did.

"Iris, you... this is – we need to tell you father, he might –"

"The hell we are!" Iris said. "This is nothing, if it is a death threat, then I'll handle it – the last thing I need is his help or Eyebrows!"

Leon grabbed Iris by her shoulders and made her look at him in the eye.

"Iris, but what if... what if that person who wrote it... I promise you, I won't let anything happen to you. I'll always watch your back."

Iris smiled. She reached her hand to Leon's and held it.

"Thank you..."

~*~

Leon couldn't let it slide. Though Iris had told him to not tell anyone, he needed to make sure that she would be safe. Three days after their conversation, Leon crept to Commander Shadis' office with his written letter addressed to the only person he knew could help.

"And why wasn't I noted about this sooner?" Shadis asked the boy after Leon told him the whole story about the mysterious letter that Iris received.

"I wasn't sure if it was the right thing to do..."

"And now you do?"

"Sir, Iris is like my sister, I can't just let this slide, I'll do anything to make sure that she's safe." Leon said.

Shadis nodded.

"I'll have this sent to Commander Erwin as soon as possible." Shadis said.

~*~

Erwin sat quietly in his office, reading some papers about the funds that the King was to give the Scouts for their coming Expedition to reclaim Wall Maria. It wasn't much, unlike before, but it was expected, and would have to make do with what was given. They always do.

A knock on the door caught his attention. Turning from his papers, he called for the person to enter. Mike came inside, out of breath.

"What happened?" Erwin asked.

"It was sent by an Officer from the Cadet Corps in secret." Mike said.

"What?"

Mike got out a letter from his jacket and handed it to Erwin. Confused, Erwin took the letter. Tearing it open, Erwin read the content, and he was appalled when he read Leon Kirsch's name at the very bottom, he was the last person he thought would send such report to him.

"What does it mean?" Mike asked.

"Leon Kirsch wrote this." Erwin said.

"What?!" Mike was appalled.

"Said that Iris received a letter that told her to hide..." Erwin said.

"Who do you think wrote it?" Mike asked.

"I have no idea..." Erwin said. "I will be sending a letter to Leon... he will be your contact in the 104th, to keep an eye on Iris and see if there are any advances."

Mike nodded.

"And Levi, should he be informed?"

Erwin was silent for a moment. In deep thought.